Second Skin Audio

4 15s or 1 18

brian222

oKay I'm pretty sure I stated this in the beginning but allow me to reiterate I said this is probably a "stupid" question lol meaning the majority of you all would be like seriously but I'm pretty sure I summed up the question at the very end by stating quantity or quality because I am aware of the whole cone area deal and if these were equal quality 15 compared to the SSA sub there would be no question but we're talking 900 watts of audio pipe which you know darn well if I put 900 RMS to it it would probably blow it so realistically I would probably only run 500 RMS to it just to be on the safe side and like I said both setups would be sealed going off the specs of the sub I know ported is better in terms of efficiency but with both of these subs Sealed will still give me pretty decent lows while at the same time saving on port space but while I'm on that topic I believe I aSked joe x this a while back in regards to port area do the majority of you guys lean more towards the 12 to 16 square inch rule or the 1/3 of cone area rule and I realized those aren't dead set more so suggestions but what do you guys go by because if I'm going one-third of cone area multiple subs give me a hell of a port area which means extremely long which means extremely huge box thus, because of my space confinements, that's why I'm going with sealed at this point hope you guys can understand that like I said this is a temporary thing till I get a project vehicle to throw this crap in lol oh and by the way Joe I'm pretty sure I picked up on the sarcasm in there definitely wouldn't make a thrEad of audipipes and LanZar in a sealed lol but like I said I was just askin if 4 crappie 15s be as loud as one quality 18 inch sub providing everything else and I mean everything else would be the same and by loud because I know that is a relative term but by loud I mean heard from further away not necessarily loud in the car

Bro, don't go sealed! You will lose a ton.... If the huge port area is too much go with an aero port.... They don't need as much area to work..

Later you may realize, I'm trying to help you. Buy better product.... Get better results...

and poor fish you may be trying to helpbut like I said it was merely a question opinions like I said when it comes down to it I'm not a retard I know quality subs in a ported box is the best way to go or even a fourth order depending on what your goals arebut I was just saying because I only have about 9 cubes to work withwhich I realize is still plenty I mean hell I could go 2 Skar 1500w 15s in a ported box and be plenty loud but hell just indulge me and view it has a hypothetical question for crying out loud and just give me an opinion on what you would go with lol ok I'll change it up for you since I said hypothetical this is just for you poor fish if you had 4 800 watt RF 15s or a 3200 watt 18which way would you go for get the box and everything else just merely talking subs

and poor fish you may be trying to helpbut like I said it was merely a question opinions like I said when it comes down to it I'm not a retard I know quality subs in a ported box is the best way to go or even a fourth order depending on what your goals arebut I was just saying because I only have about 9 cubes to work withwhich I realize is still plenty I mean hell I could go 2 Skar 1500w 15s in a ported box and be plenty loud but hell just indulge me and view it has a hypothetical question for crying out loud and just give me an opinion on what you would go with lol ok I'll change it up for you since I said hypothetical this is just for you poor fish if you had 4 800 watt RF 15s or a 3200 watt 18which way would you go for get the box and everything else just merely talking subs

Id go 2 Soundqubed hds312 and 2 Soundqubed 1200 amps.... If you really have 9 cubes solid.... It would be tough to go to 15s.... Say 6cubes which is super small for 15s.... Once you factor port area, you might be fucked cause we all like to tune low....

OOOOps... forgot about the sq 2200. I'd go sq2200 not 2 sq1200s

Ok but cone area still king if its pyle? Or planet audio lol so foUr thousand watt Pyle 18s would be louder than 2 2000 watt skar 18s in properly made boxes? Hmmm? Lol and I do appreciate the responses heck I was thinking I was going to be waiting months for a reply gotta love the SMD forumbut seriously for a minute when it comes to port area if I were to go with the one third cone area rUle for 4 15s with 20mm xmax to get 33hz id be looking to add another 7.4 cubes to the box to account for port displacement id be up to 16 cubes then thus my dilemma or if I went 12-16 id still add another 1.7 cubes so I was just saying for this next build ima start sealed dont hate me lol

Ok but cone area still king if its pyle? Or planet audio lol so foUr thousand watt Pyle 18s would be louder than 2 2000 watt skar 18s in properly made boxes? Hmmm? Lol and I do appreciate the responses heck I was thinking I was going to be waiting months for a reply gotta love the SMD forumbut seriously for a minute when it comes to port area if I were to go with the one third cone area rUle for 4 15s with 20mm xmax to get 33hz id be looking to add another 7.4 cubes to the box to account for port displacement id be up to 16 cubes then thus my dilemma or if I went 12-16 id still add another 1.7 cubes so I was just saying for this next build ima start sealed dont hate me lol

If you bought what I suggested, it knock your dick in the dirt. You might even hate me when you need a second battery to stop the voltage drops... SQ 2200 is no

joke.

If you legit have 9cubes I'd go 12s or 1 18... Brands of your choice, of course.

yEs I know about Aeroports toO so Ive read... you can get away with running 9 inches per cubebut now you're telling me you don't like sKar either geez next you're going to say Audiobahn is crap lol jk haha and yes I'm sure I could get away with running four 12s with 3 6 inch Aeroports would be about 9.2 cubes after all is accounted for tuned to 33 Hertz Buuuuut I still would rather 4 15s lol I'm going to take some time later to revise my thinking and get back to you all see if I can get away with running four 15s ported to make everyone happy lol

so foUr thousand watt Pyle 18s would be louder than 2 2000 watt skar 18s in properly made boxes?

yes.

The pyles in a proper box would slam for a day or 2

then the coils turn into ashes

hahah @ gunmen yeah well I guess you get what you pay for theN but to be honest with you all the port issue is what started all of this controversy in my head I was building my first fourth orderand the box calculator that I used gave me .96 cubes Vf so using the ol 12-16 rule obviously gave me pretty small ports so the more I read up on it I saw the one third of cone area approach and also in regards to fourth order I read sometimes closer to 1 half of cone area which if that was the case would be a huge port for such a small volume so I started believing bigger ports was the way to go but now that I want four 15s or a couple of 18s I don't think I'll have the room to go ported in my current vehicle so ...

Archived