Sundown Audio

Mono block for Type R 10D2

jrussell9109

I'm looking to upgrade my amp from a ARC Audio FD-600.1 which I'm running at 2 ohms 620w. I've been looking at either getting a Sound Qubed Q1-1200D which will run 870w at 2 ohm or a HiFonics Brutus BRX1400.1D which will run 900w at 2 ohm. I'm not completely set on either of these I would just like to get your guys input on them. If there is something better go ahead and suggest I'm open to opinions. Thanks guys.

Why not match the subwoofer with an Alpine amplifier? The MRX-M1100 does 1100w @2 ohm, and 650 @4ohm.

Wire your Type R to 4 ohm, you'll get 650w which plenty of power for that subwoofer, and if you ever want to get a second Type R you can wire them to 2 ohm and get 1100w out of the amplifier. It gives you the chance to add a second sub woofer without having to get a bigger amplifier.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

You have one Type R D2? How are you running it at 2 ohms?

I would not consider Hifonics an upgrade over an Arc no matter what the model numbers are. If it doesn't sound as good I wouldn't want to listen to it period.

Static drops are my bag.

Okay, single D2 sub on a mono block, let's assume it's hooked up at 1 ohm for 600 watts off the Arc. If it's at 4 ohms you're getting a little over 300 and could nearly double that for free by rewiring to 1 ohm.

On a single Type R 10 600 is actually a good number. I know it's rated for "up to 1000" rms but that is a lot on that woofer. You could find a 1k at 1 ohm mono block and tune it conservatively but you'll find the limits of that woofer and may need to upgrade that next.

Static drops are my bag.

Okay, single D2 sub on a mono block, let's assume it's hooked up at 1 ohm for 600 watts off the Arc. If it's at 4 ohms you're getting a little over 300 and could nearly double that for free by rewiring to 1 ohm.

On a single Type R 10 600 is actually a good number. I know it's rated for "up to 1000" rms but that is a lot on that woofer. You could find a 1k at 1 ohm mono block and tune it conservatively but you'll find the limits of that woofer and may need to upgrade that next.

Appreciate it. I'll have to look when I get my DD1 and CC1 meters. I've got my gain set pretty low since I never have had the right tools to set gain. I may just end up keeping this amp.

I would definitely suggest keeping with Alpine on the amp. The Alpine MRX-M110 or MRX-M100 would be a excellent choice. Even their older stuff, like the Alpine MRP-M1000 would be good. The sound quality from those amplifiers are great. With cheaper power you can get loud, but it won't be as clean.

If you're not planning on adding a second subwoofer then you're limited to either 4ohm or 1ohm loads. Alpine amplifiers don't like 1ohm and you'd have to get a really big amplifier to run 4 ohm and get the power you want.

I'd say look at a Rockford Fosgate P1000X1db. Relativity the same price as the MRX-M1100 but does 1000w @1ohm.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived