Second Skin Audio

not another vs thread but ...need more facts than opinions as to efficiency of ported over sealed

brian222

Thanks for the awesome responses guys. And yes SPACE is the issue. I could run 2 ina 4th order but the problem im having is when it come to port size for 2 18s how much area is enough/large area and tuning low=alot of port displacement and honestly I feel 4th order word be an awesome way to go for a competition setup but this is more a daily use deal and I do like lowwwws more...so back to ported if I tuned to 33hz I would have high output in the lows. I guess i could always run some mids or even a cpl 8s or 10s to give me that punchy higher end sound but point is 2 sealed would be about same cuft as one ported due to port displacement I have a smaller suv have about 9cubes to play with and sub could be ran in a 4-5cuft ported but no way I can two and still tune low , stay away for port noise from my perspective. I could be wrong.

And yes I kno there is only one way to truly kno and that by testing both that's why I was hoping someone could answer the question based on personal experience or factual evidence bCuz I didnt want to have to buy 2 subs just to test the theory I guess I could go cheap style and do an experiment that way, like buy a couple 100 dollar subs and run half power to the single ported sub and full power to the dual sealed setup that way I could always sell those and not be out money haha but again thanks for all the input guys

Ok, so your trying to fit 1 18" ported or 2 18" sealed.

So what sub(s) are you looking at?

Max dimensions you have for the box?

If ykour wanting 2-3k per 18 or just 2-3k for 1 18 another thing to consider is space for battery(s) and amp placement.

If you really can't fit 2 18" ported and want that hard hitting low end but still want that punchy higher bass you have a few options.

Aero ports at a higher tuning tend to give a better low end output then a slot at a higher tuning

Tuning 33-36hz with a good design cam give you a good overall freq response.

Or

Get I nice set of front door speakers (forget about the back doors spend the extra money on the front), sound deadener, and do some google searching on increasing midbass response in your front doors. There are tricks to it.

For the front speakers look for something that can play down into the 50hz area.

Another option as you said is to add an 8" or 10" midbass speaker to the front doors to get a nice mid bass.

Plenty of options here.

Another method of testing the difference of your previous question

Get one 18" build both a ported and sealed box. Give both the same amount of power.

Listen to both for about a week.

Take notes of the sound and if possible get both on the meter (ears lie about output).

Then think about it.

That sealed box is going to sound the same as 2 18" in a sealed box. The 2 18" would just simply be a little louder.

Point is the sound would be the same.

If its not for competition your choice should be based on the sound of ported vs sealed.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Well as i said I have about 9 cubes (inner dimensions) and honestly I dont know anymore how much port area is enough anymore seems like it just depends. I mean one calculator I ran it through said over 160 sqin of area for 33 hz [which would be like 4 cubes of port displacement based on 8 cubes before displacement which then lowers my net thus making port lenth go back up thus making mooooore displacement but based on other suggestions using about 16sqin per cubic foot would make for about 2 cubes of displacement which would get me there but dont know if that would be enough to run 2 subs in and I know areos u can run alil smaller per cuft but again really dont know how much port area is enough. I saw meade ran 120 sqin with 4 18s so anythings possible lol carstereo.com has port velocity calculator but not sure if im understanding the answer is computing says keep port air speed to less than 10 percent of mach but I can put a radius of 2 and still be fine even on 6000 watts which seems suspect to me...but anyway. What would be a good port ratio/area for a 3000 watt 18 with 33xmax ? Any suggestions?

And yes im goin to build a box with an interchangeable baffle will have 2x4 strip around the (internalside of walls) top to run tnuts into with weather stripping to prevent leaking air that way one box two possible setups also might build a false bottom when testing the sealed setup to go from 8.5 cubes to 4.5 to test the .7qtc and a .9 anywho keep yall posted. Will be startin build in a month. Thanks again

Archived