Releasing some tesnion and seeking advice.

strange to hear this even happening. these motors are awesome and in my opinion never have issues that big

how many miles on yours? i love mine, 2007 with 4,8 with 118k, runs like new

just under 200,000 kms...so about 125k miles. I agrees, the small block Chevy's are great, I mean they been using them for what, 50 years? Both my mechanic and almost every guy at work was shocked that that happened to a 5.3 at 200k. I guess the engine in my truck was built on a Friday afternoon when they employees couldn't wait to go home...

I also told my folks about it, and after a lengthily discussion, they offered to help me out with some of the money even though I think I can handle it...but I didn't complain.

I also did the officer Slater dance after that with a nice cold beer in my hand...made my day.

officer-slater-dance-o.gif

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

dont they have forged pistons? also he is wrong about the lifters. newer cars used hydraulic roller lifters. they are not like the old days that you did have to replace. he used scare tactics to get you to do what he wants. if anything all you had to do is replace the cracked pistons. that engine does not have many miles that it would need to be honed..

when i got my 454 a took it all apart just to put new rings on it. i never had to hone it and it has balls.. yep he played you but its your money and since you dont know how to work on cars it was the best you could do.. good luck with the block and hope it last long for you

dont they have forged pistons? also he is wrong about the lifters. newer cars used hydraulic roller lifters. they are not like the old days that you did have to replace. he used scare tactics to get you to do what he wants. if anything all you had to do is replace the cracked pistons. that engine does not have many miles that it would need to be honed..

when i got my 454 a took it all apart just to put new rings on it. i never had to hone it and it has balls.. yep he played you but its your money and since you dont know how to work on cars it was the best you could do.. good luck with the block and hope it last long for you

My engine has AFM, so the lifters are normal rods but they connect to a hydraulic pin that has been know to collapse. Those you have to replace and they run about $700 for all 8 cylinders. I would also definitely have to hone, because the pieces of piston flying around in the cylinder would probably chew it up pretty damn good, not to mention the fact that if I'm going to strip it down to the block, I might as well do all of the cylinders because the same problem could happen a month later to all of the other pistons.

I get that you think mechanics are out to screw you but this mechanic IS NOT...for God's sake, him and my dad grew up together. He's a man who deals with integrity, not some cheap bastard just trying to make wage. If I didn't trust this guy, I wouldn't have even taken my truck to him. I'm not naive enough to get played out of that kind of money.

But I do appreciate your concern. ^_^

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived