Releasing some tesnion and seeking advice.

Well last Saturday I had a bunch of problems with my Avalanche, flashing engine lights, service warnings, all that jazz. Took her into my trusted mechanic this morning and the verdict is the engine has two dead cylinders. Not sure why just yet but he said that the #7 is coated in oil and the #2 has no compression.

His recommendation is to replace the engine. He says after tearing apart the engine to find the problem, parts, and labour; It would be easier and more beneficial to replace it. He is confident he can find a good used engine and install it for around $3000. The 5.3l is a popular engine so it's totally plausible.

What do you guys think? I paid almost $20k for the truck, and I do have a huge lump sum of money I've been saving for a new motocross bike but I'l willing to let that dream go for now.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

He's not lying about swapping it, it's usually cheaper than tearing it apart.

only thing is being a used engine you run the risk of having the same issues come up.

Guessing you don't have the ability to do the swap yourself?

Not too hard and you could save a lot of $$$.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

He's not lying about swapping it, it's usually cheaper than tearing it apart.

only thing is being a used engine you run the risk of having the same issues come up.

Guessing you don't have the ability to do the swap yourself?

Not too hard and you could save a lot of $$$.

I really wish I had the resources to swap it myself but I just don't. He's also talking about swapping it out in a few days...it would take me way longer.

He says that he doesn't just by used engines off anybody. He has a strict tolerance when picking used engines and said that at the end of they day, you could slap a brand new engine in and have the same problem. He figures it was a manufacturing defect or something.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Since you're considering the swap have you considered swapping to the 6.0?

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Fellow Canadian,

Go on to kijiji and find a half decent parts vehicle. I'm looking for a new motor for my 2007 gmc sierra 2500hd. A LOT of motors. I found a 472 out of a 1968 deville convertible. runs and drives.

But get a new motor. If you dont like used stuff, [i dont blame you] crate motor 5.7. Super cheap and a tonne of after market parts for them to make extra power!

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

No. I don't want to make thing anymore complicated for the mechanic. I need this fixed asap because I can't be borrowing my gf's car for much longer.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

No. I don't want to make thing anymore complicated for the mechanic. I need this fixed asap because I can't be borrowing my gf's car for much longer.

the votec 6 is garbage and makes garbage power with garbage economy.

Lots of Second Skin

if youre spending 3k might as well get it rebuilt.. i would never run a used engine. you never know how others treated the car and how often they changed the oil (if they did) no matter how good of a mechanic he is he cant just pick a good engine.. chances are its just bs too. can be the head gasket or the seals on the heads that's making it leak oil.

i have heard that story many times.. like oh you blew your intake gasket and your intake is broken. it will cost you $800 to repair it. all i had them do is change the spark plug and for water in the cylinder well take a wild guess. its been 3 years and i havent gotten water in my cylinder... all mechanics are dirty no matter how good they are and how much they say they are youre friend. seen it happen many times.. if you didnt watch him remove the spark plug then chances are he got it wet while you wasnt looking.

If your truck isnt dead yet, Just run it to the ground, Then do something.

Lots of Second Skin

Archived