Second Skin Audio

Port Area Here We Go Again.........

Ok here goes, I know this has probably been beat to death. How much port area is too much? I have been reading alot about port area as of late. I am contemplating a wall with 4 Kicker Comp VR 15's with 20'^3 net tuned to between 35-40hz for a daily driver. Would 320"^2 of port be too much? I was looking at the DD box recommendations and it says 12-16"^2 per cubic foot of air space. Ok one more question the 1:9 port ratio, could someone clarify this? I think it means that if my port were say 10 X 30 it would be a 1:3 ratio correct? Would this ratio be favorable?

So it was two more questions. B)

Mac

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

Hopefully it doesn't sound too horrible. lol

Ok here goes, I know this has probably been beat to death. How much port area is too much? I have been reading alot about port area as of late. I am contemplating a wall with 4 Kicker Comp VR 15's with 20'^3 net tuned to between 35-40hz for a daily driver. Would 320"^2 of port be too much? I was looking at the DD box recommendations and it says 12-16"^2 per cubic foot of air space. Ok one more question the 1:9 port ratio, could someone clarify this? I think it means that if my port were say 10 X 30 it would be a 1:3 ratio correct? Would this ratio be favorable?

So it was two more questions. B)

Mac

i think the closer to square you can get the port the better as far as how much is too much, i have no idea, i didnt there was such a thing....i have seen competitor setups where you can literally walk inside the port.

but im not 100% sure on either of these, so someone please clarify if i am mistaken.

i think the closer to square you can get the port the better as far as how much is too much, i have no idea, i didnt there was such a thing....i have seen competitor setups where you can literally walk inside the port.

but im not 100% sure on either of these, so someone please clarify if i am mistaken.

I have seen pics of some huge ports but i think they were solely for spl purposes, not daily. Anyone else have any input on this?

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

I have seen pics of some huge ports but i think they were solely for spl purposes, not daily. Anyone else have any input on this?

general rule is 12-16 square inches of port per every cubic foot. with more power on hand...i'd generally go with slightly smaller port area.

also you are correct, those are straight SPL boxes. made for one note.

general rule is 12-16 square inches of port per every cubic foot. with more power on hand...i'd generally go with slightly smaller port area.

also you are correct, those are straight SPL boxes. made for one note.

Thats basically what I gathered from my reading on different setups. So the 320 square inches of port for 4 comp vr 15's in a 20 cubic foot net enclosure too much or ok in your opinion?

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

what will be powering these? i'd consider going slightly smaller for airspace. and what are the specs of your box? length, width, and heighth? i can help you with the tuning and port area better

Internal 48 x 24 x 36 24 cubes before port, subs, and bracing 20 cubes after all displacement.

4- COMP VR 15's

2- Tang Band 8's

2- Selenium 6"

2- Selenium Tweets

2- SAX 100.4's

1- SAZ 3000D

1- KQ9

1- KX3

yeah...your specs are about right on the nail. i'm gettin the same thing. make the build...test it out...post a log :)...and if you hate it, tear it out and rebuild it. fun times fun times right there :D

as for the 1:9 ratio...i read that it's better to try and keep it more square, to prevent the 'pinching' of air coming out of the port. kinda like if you squeeze a straw almost shut and try to blow through it, compared to it being open regularly. but i could be wrong on that. someone can clarify that also