Second Skin Audio

Rear facing vs. Foreward sealed

KenSchoen

In my case I first started out with my driver facing the rear of the trunk. Then I got the urge to tear my rear seat out and face my box towards the cabin / box slid as far back as possible. Mine seemed louder (though not much) in the first arrangement with the driver facing the trunk. I did notice that with the seats out and firing into cabin, the SQ was a little better. That's how I currently still have it even though it may not be quite as loud. I have not yet had the chance to try it facing cabin with the trunk sealed off. I didn't want to go through the work of sealing it off when I knew this winter I wanted to try a new / bigger subwoofer. Like AJ said, results will be different in every different vehicle. Also every other variable (power, driver, box, etc..) will vary your results.

97 Buick LeSabre with stock 140 amp alternator

XS Power D3400 (under the hood) using pdb distro blocks

Big 3 done with 2/0 ga welding cable

Alpine CDE-HD149BT head unit

CT Sounds Meso 6.5" components

CT Sounds 60.4

CT Sounds 1400.1

Fi Q 12 D2 with cooling in 2.5 net tuned @32 hz (box built by Sound Mekanix Customs)

Bunch of Sky High 1/0 ga & 4 ga cable (plus fuse holders)

Connection BT2 & BT4 550 (Audison) RCA's

Bunch of Mojo Mat

with you're gear jack i would imagine it would be louder facing the trunk, back of box touching the seats. i bet you gained some low end when you fired into the cabin.

when i first got my car and only had a cheap single 12 prefab box. a whopping 1.1 cubes tuned to 45hz... god i hate prefab! but i tried facing cabin.. i literally had no bass. the only way i could be "Loud" was firing into the trunk but the sub and port 2 inches from the trunk wall. the closer i put the port to the trunk the louder it got.

i know some of us have a very hard time moving our boxes around, but it's worth it. there is no right or wrong answer, only trial and error.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Yeah AJ your right, I did gain a little on the low end for sure.

CT Sounds 60.4

CT Sounds 1400.1

Fi Q 12 D2 with cooling in 2.5 net tuned @32 hz (box built by Sound Mekanix Customs)

Bunch of Mojo Mat

every time.. 99% of the time i switched i gained output on the low end by facing the cabin.

i want to understand why. I'm guessing lower hz waves travel farther. so if they have more room they preform better. or.something... all i know is that it works

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Yeah you got me there, maybe the interior acoustics favor lower frequencies that way? In my case with facing forward, my port is firing into the passenger side. Maybe with my driver facing forward some sort of noise cancellation doesn't occur? I wonder how the difference would be for someone that has a sealed box?

CT Sounds 60.4

CT Sounds 1400.1

Bunch of Mojo Mat

I wish it was as easy as just turning the box to face the front...but doing that makes it so you end up with cancellation. the sound is out of phase in this instance. the only way to make it sound good is to toally seal the subs of from the trunk. If this is done properly...there will be no trunk rattle. So i guess thats what I'm trying to figure out. But if you seal the subs off from the trunk...the port has to be firing into the cabin aswell...or else you are going to lose output.

In addition to the above....does the direction the subs face make any difference as long as they are sealed? Let's say the area of the trunk directly behind the seat is not tall or wide enough to fit two 15's for example. Could you accommodate by tilting them back and face them slightly together to make sure they fit or would that cause problems? I know one downside to that would be having to route the port/ports through the rear deck. Also does anyone know if cancelation exists in vehicles other than sedans and other cars?

In addition to the above....does the direction the subs face make any difference as long as they are sealed? Let's say the area of the trunk directly behind the seat is not tall or wide enough to fit two 15's for example. Could you accommodate by tilting them back and face them slightly together to make sure they fit or would that cause problems? I know one downside to that would be having to route the port/ports through the rear deck. Also does anyone know if cancelation exists in vehicles other than sedans and other cars?

The direction, position, and vehicle is all going to make a difference. Tilting them back may cause other issues like box space but firing slightly up wouldn't be bad if you do it right and layer up on the deadener. If its not tall or wide enough you cut it out like i did. Cancellation? It exists and no we don't like it.

"Toyota Camry rebuild page 21 (link)http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/183768-94-crossfire-camry-18s-walled-singer-alt-has-arrived-rebuild-starts-pg-10/page-21

PIONEER DEH-P8400BH

2 CROSSFIRE C5 1700D

2 CROSSFIRE C7 18

HOOD. NSB GROUP48 TRUNK SMS AGM400

DUAL RUNS X SCORP 1/0 OFC

275A SINGER ALT.

DYNAMAT XTREME

SOUNDSTREAM TA4.280

PIONEER COMPONENTS

you don't have to seal off to be loud facing the cabin.

only issue I've had is having to roll down my window to get more bass in.

it is as simple as flipping the subs, I've done it hundreds of times.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff