Sundown Audio

Looking for a new amp for my new car

matt-man

well, instead of shelling out cash on an amp that will do rated to your subs, or quite possibly 2 amps that will do rated to your subs. you'd be better off spending your money on a custom ported enclosure. You can ask anyone on here, the enclosure is arguably the most important part of the install.

to put into perspective. if you run those subs on 1000-1200 watts, and you listen to them, then you double the power to them and listen again, you will, in an ideal world, see a 2 to 3 decibel increase. 3 db is when the ear can tell a difference in loudness. So imo, youd be better off getting a properly built and tuned enclosure. you seem like a do it yourselfer and there are a ton of people on here who can help you design an enclosure. If you don't wanna design and built it yourself, there are a ton of people and or places that will do it for you. prefabs are often tuned way to high, and you'll be missing that lower bass range that sounds and feels incredible. My friend has 2 type rs in a prefab, and my other friend has 1 in a custom tuned and built enclosure, and not only is the 1 in the custom box louder, it sounds infinitely better.

But seriously, consider getting a good enclosure man, it'll make a whole lot more difference than 2k vs 1k. also, with 1k you won't need much more than a big 3 if you're alt is decent.

just my .02

thats just my 2 cents.

If I took the money I was going to spend on an amp and spend it on a custom box then that still leaves me with no amp. I do have an amp, but it's shitty and too big to fit under the seat. So an amp is #1 on the priority list for now

2003 Kia Sedona A.K.A Bob

2 Alpine Type-R 12's @ 2Ohm

Pyramid Audio PB3818 @ 2Ohm

JVC Arsenal KD-AR565

i hear ya, if you're not going for a high performance system that gets super loud, you probably are looking for a nice flat response. I'd settle for 1-1.5k on power, big 3, and absolutely 100% positively a custom enclosure. It will make a world of diff. the money you save on upgrading your electrical for 2k will be enough to get a good custom box.

2004 Jeep Liberty Limited

2 13w7s

skar 3500

cnf mids (soon)

xs batteries

i hear ya, if you're not going for a high performance system that gets super loud, you probably are looking for a nice flat response. I'd settle for 1-1.5k on power, big 3, and absolutely 100% positively a custom enclosure. It will make a world of diff. the money you save on upgrading your electrical for 2k will be enough to get a good custom box.

I do love the lows in a system so I'll have to look into a custom box. Now, back to the amp. Is there a brand you would suggest over the other? My subs are 4ohm but my buddy who is also the guy I originally bought the system from, said they were bridged down to 2 ohms. So do I get a 2 or 4 ohm amp?

2003 Kia Sedona A.K.A Bob

2 Alpine Type-R 12's @ 2Ohm

Pyramid Audio PB3818 @ 2Ohm

JVC Arsenal KD-AR565

What is your budget?

And you'll be wanting an amp that puts out the power you want at 1 ohm.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

OK well not a whole hell of a lot doesn't help us help you, we need a real $ amount.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived