Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Box for alpines


quincyj34

Recommended Posts

Posted

Im designing a box for a alpine type r 15 and the specs that Alpine recommend seem too small. It looks like for a port box they recommend 2.9cu. gross at 29hz! Should I just roll with that or go bigger? This will be on 1000w.

Posted

So gross volume doesn't matter, what we care about is net volume. Alpine recommends 1.5 - 3.0 cubes, which definitely on the small side as far as 15"s go, but every sub is different and these do well in small boxes. There really is no "right" number for internal volume, it depends on how you like your subs to sound. The larger you make the box, the more peaky and boomy it gets around tuning (they recommend 30 Hz BTW). The smaller the box the more even the sound is, but you give up some max performance.

Their "optimal" box has 2.25 cubes of net airspace, which is probably how I would build it, but I like more even sounding bass. If you want more low end output build it a little bigger.

I would not use their recommendation for port size though, for some reason Alpine always way undersizes their ports. I would use at least 30 - 35 sq in of port area for a 2.25 cube box and 35 - 40 sq in for a 3 cube box.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4682 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...