Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Port size/length questions


Ebagaza

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi everyone, new member to the site but I've been following it and been a fan of SMD's work for quite a while now. I have a question about the port issues for my upcoming sub box build. I have a 12'' sub, I built the box according to the specs of the manufacturer to be tuned to 40hz for daily music and a little SPL testing if the need arises.

The box is done already, the manufacturer recommends a port diameter of 4'' (10cm metric system ftw, lol) but the PVC piping I have only has a diameter of 3.14'' (8cm).

The port length for a 4'' diameter to get to 40hz would need to be 8.5'' (21.59cm) long, but when I ran a box calc according to the volume size of the box for a 3.14'' wide port for 40hz the length would need to be 4.82'' (12.24cm) long.

So ultimately what I would like to know is:

Will the difference in port diameter have any effect on the frequency? Would the smaller diameter play just as good even though its smaller and shorter?

Would the port size difference still reflect properly as 40hz?

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks in advance.

Posted

First off, post in the right section. Second, the port length is proportionate to the port diameter. Narrower port, shorter length to achieve the same tuning. So yes, it would still be tuned to 40hz even with it being shorter. You lose out on efficiency though. The bigger diameter of port, the more efficient the box (to an extent). Personally, 1 4" port is about the minimum I would put on a 12" woofer (box size dependent). Look into precision ports on partsexpress.com, they offer awesome aeroports for a good price too.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

And welcome to the forum :)

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Wrong sectiob

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2355 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...