Perks of going to COLLEGE.

I was able to solve the stud issue by changing out the studs. I called the stealership and they sell for $3.59 a piece, but he did not have any. He did tell me any automotive box store should have them. So I logged onto Advanceauto and was able to use the nifty "TRT30" promo code and received 30% off the 5 studs. They came out to $9.70! Lightly hammered them out, and used the stock rim and nut to tighen them back on to the flange. Word to the wise, use alittle bit of oil to tighten the nut. This it's not metal to metal, nut to rim. The knurled part just glides right on in.

IMAG0649_zps2fad93db.jpg

I strayed one side of the yoke to let me know to use the same side when I go to remount everything, like the Youtube video's say. But There is so much giggle room when I touched the yoke to check for play, I'm going to have to replace the pinion bearing as well as the U joints. Everything is shot!

VIDEO0261_0000013181_zpscabe0c45.jpg

The damper/bearing thing, It was doing neither. lol. Rip in the boot. Alot of play when touched. Going to have to do the straight driveshaft conversion. LKQ..tomorrow....again. I believe this is what I was hearing when the car sat at idle. A faint rattling noise coming from underneath the car.

VIDEO0261_0000037378_zps31be6a51.jpg

Dry to the bone. U joints.

VIDEO0261_0000056175_zps1451fb17.jpg

Once this is done. She will be almost ready to roll, Engine, cooling system, brakes-flushed, rotored and padded, transmission, and driveline completely restored.......next the suspension. Maybe an inch lower.

I have not tallied up the out of pocket expense, but if I had taken her to a shop, I would be up to a few hundred dollars.

-Frank

Exactly why I'm staying around for awhile. Atleast until oil prices come back up. Oil prices up = more work for us. More work for us = more opportunities to learn. Won't be long until I can get my residential journeyman's license and start getting in the bigger money.

Fourwheeler is paid off. Truck will be paid off by May of next year if cards play right with flips and some side jobs I take care of. The audio toy is just kinda there. It was literally free, so any money I put into it is side money deemed just for it.

We have a Sport Trac almost ready to sell right now, and a couple little motor swap jobs to take care of.

And what would I have if I was in college right now? A shitty excuse of a job stacking fruit on a shelf in a supermarket driving a volvo my dad bought me. So proud to be able to purchase stuff on my own.

not trying to hate man but IMO you are so wrong. I am not here to tell you how to live but if you havent already lived on your own before, youll know soon that 15$ wont get you very far at all. save that cash man. i know its hard but you gotta save if your plan is to move out in 2 years. sure you can make it without college, but you have to know the right people and get lucky. or do an apprecticeship or something like that.

i can tell you the first year or 2 of college yea youll be a waiter or grocery stocker or maybe something better if you score an early internship. but the money starts to be apparent when you enter your junior and senor year. thats when companies want to try you out to see if they want you for a future salary position. i can tell you i am still in college and i have a pretty killer computer engineering job with a job offer when i graduate in a year. and i can still purchase stuff and my ride and college while working summers and one day a week..

nothing beats experience,m but when you have experience and a degree well, life is good financially

im not saying its for everyone and your pay may seem high to what you used to get, but just save that cash.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

op, you are too nice! glad to see people fixing a car up themselves. a lot of work going into this.! nice work.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

4 velour seats $50.00

Brake lamps $40.00

Brake lamp sockets $10.00

driver carpet mat $1.00

Driver's sunvisor $4.00

Window motor $32.00

Driver window $28.00

Rotors pair-rear $70.00

pads x's 4 corners $40.00

driver plastic fender well $7.00

Headliner repair kit $62.00

Rear hatch lift struts $28.00

Transmission filter $22.00

Rad hoses upper lower $25.00

Heater Hose $10.00

Iridium plugs (prior owner gave them to me) FREE

Brake light swtich $8.00

Brake bulbs $6.00

driver rear rebuilt caliper $80.00

T-Tops holder $14.00

Battery $103.00

Battery tray/coolant bottle $10.00

Serpentine belt $20.00

Idler Pulley $6.00

18X10.5 back chrome rims $180.00

275/35/18 installed $170.00

Multi-swtich, turn signal $28.00

Pass. dash undertray cover $7.00

Fluids $55.00

Air filter $8.00

If I did it right , comes out to $1124 in parts replaced! Shit I thought I was up to $400.00 invested!!!!! By the time I am doing, I will be close to $3000. But that is ok. At least she will be road worthy for sure.

I think that's about it. I did all the work myself, except for the tire mounting. The plugs took > 4 hours to change out! And a savings of $550.00. Which is what I read is the cost of plugs and wires on a Camaro with a 3.8L motor. Had to get underneath to change out the plugs. Especially cylinder #3 was a real bitch to do!

-Frank

haha... changing those plugs sick the big D!

I've done it so many times now... sill can't do it in under 3 hours. rather change the ls1 plugs. 3.6L isn't nearly as bad either.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Sorry to bring up old news on the thread, but going along with the concensus that post high school education is paramount to living independently. It doesn't have to be a degree, but a certificate , a work grants, a recommendation, or even basic knowledge in a field is better then working a dead end job strait out of High school.

It's hard for some people not to fall in to the cycle of working these jobs, certainly if you don't come from a wealthy (in the slightest of terms) family that can just pay for all of your tuition and monthly expenses scot-free. Some people need to be prodded constantly to make a uplifting change, but they also have to be told that sacrifices will have to be made in order to better themselves and their future. Handing them a key to instant gratifaction isn't the right way of handling it.

So in some ways the OP is being helpful by trying to justify a reason for his step-son to go to school, it may not be the best way, but it's a start. Some others are right by saying that this choice (a bribe in someways) to going to college isn't really helpful, and thats true as well. What real incentive does he have to finish out what he started if you give him something he wants instead of needs from the get go. A flashy car to look cool in means nothing in the long run, he can crash it as soon as it even sees its first 1000miles in his hands, now what?

I know first hand what that looks like considering i live in one of the most richy poo no fucks given community in America. When i was in highschool, and even now in college. I see some of these students (friends and foes alike) driving around in cars even adults making 100k a year can't even afford. All the while there fucking their parents trust by bullshitting in college just so they can get by. The most hungry students i see are the ones that only get ass whoopings if they don't bring home the best grades and the most knowledge. I'm not saying there aren't examples of students of wealth that aren't constantly working there ass off either. But that probability is summed up with the question of , "why do i need to work hard if i'm going to get what i want either way?".

So in someways you are doing this guy and injustice by giving him wants instead of needs. You know he fucked up with those decisions, trying to put a bandaid over it by getting him a car doesn't mean the wound of his ignorance is going to heal indefinitely. He needs to be pointed in the right direction, and although saying go to college may seem like a indicator, it's just vague if he doesn't know what he wants to do in life.

On to the car, great job on the build and i hope you guys make the most of it.

Looks like I will be doing the diff. tomorrow. The pinion bearing was indeed changed, but torqued wrong. The diff. bearings are the original. If it wasn't for the pinion being loose causing the gear oil to run out, these diff. bearing could have been saved. :( Now I have to do that whole drive/coast/backlash crap like I did for the Jimmy. Damn it!

IMAG0653_zps0ee3c32f.jpg

Update on the stereo build/gathering....

Well, I played the IDQ12v2's again in the camaro for my gf. Listening to Old School D.J. Magic Mike from "our" H.S. days. lol. Yes I still have his Gold Edition Cheetah Records CD. She also agreed, "not loud enough" in a 1cf enclosure each with around 250W-300W to each sub.

So tonight after dinner we came home, I pulled out one of the Phoenix Gold Elite 12's and threw it in a .95cf box that it came with. Well, all we can say is........WOW! And that's only "1" sub. Pushed by a Crossfire VR1000D. @ 1100W @ 1 Ohm from my Bimmer (running w/ 13.7V).

The P.G. has alot of excursion, and the manual says "can take up to 1600W RMS". She looks like she can take more than what I am giving her. The YOUTUBE vid's show mega excursion. I guess I will be using the entire trunk as a ported enclosure to ring out every last ounce of bass to fill the car. Hopefully I can get the 4.5cf needed for normal usage.

The manual says:

Sealed:

SPL 0.75cf

Normal 1.2cf

SQ 1.6cf

Vented:

SPL 1.75

Normal 2.25

SQ 3cf

I was going to sell these bad boys on Ebay to pay for the cost of the vehicle. I guess I will have to sell the P.G. Elite.4. instead. I should get double my $$ for her. Looks like we will be using these subs, since they are a few steps up from the Rockford HX2's I've owned. You won't believe the price I paid for these bad boys. New they retail for $449.99 a piece. I stole these! LMAO. We will have to sell the HX2's as well since this entire vehicle + repairs has been out of pocket unlike the Jimmy. Tomorrow the IDQ go back to the pawn shop and I get a $90.00 credit- $8.00 6 month warranty allows you to return any item you buy within the 6 month period. No lose situation!

002_zpsecdc7450.jpg

These things are monsters!

003_zps17d9a0a5.jpg

The amp(s) will also be changing...... JL J2 1000.1's and a TMA 320.4. I sold the JL J2 320.4 I had....Damn it! Oh well, it's just a badge. Same exact amp!

010_zps7d03c7a4.jpg

009_zpsb5cf3b73.jpg

Build should start after the diff and shocks.

-Frank

Archived