Second Skin Audio

Need help with a subframe for my box.

Shenker

How are you guys securing large enclosures? I know its a really simple question but im trying to design a subframe to mount to my existing cargo strap points for my box to then attach to, its 24"x48" on the base going in a suburban behind third row. but i cant seem to come up with any ideas that are going to work for me. I have thought about maybe a 1x1 square tubing assembly that would go around the whole base of the box and having it sit on top of a slightly smaller rectangle allowing me to bolt the two together from the front/back. but im really just looking for starting point ideas, so if you have ran into a similar problem, it would much appreciated to see your solution to it. Thanks in advance!

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

My box is ~7 cubic feet and iv never had a problem with it moving. The only way that thing is going anywhere is if I roll my jeep. If you can remove your "tie down" points then you could do 1-2in square tube wrapping arround the base of your box and have "legs" extending out with tabs on the end that will bolt into where your tie downs were. I'm not sure what your tie down points look like so it may be hard to get tabs down there, but hey it's something.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

Really? So none of the big boxes (big being 4-8cubes not a wall) people have are secured more then just being set there? Maybe I'm just really paranoid but I always thought boxes HAD to be secured one way or another. But I think I'm going to prepare for the worst anyhow, if I do one day experience a roll over *knocks on wood* I would rather not have a 250lb projectile making its way forward, even more so for the back row passengers. Maybe people will think its overkill but I'd rather be safe then sorry.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

Bone Stock

I complealy understand your concern, My box in my JKU is behind the seats so no way it's going anywhere even in a crash. Some pictures of where it's going would help. I'm just one person so I can't speak for everyone else's setup and a lot more people on here know a lot more than me hahahaha.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

The Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/195839-2014-jku-build-4-12s/

You're on the right track Shenker, always mount boxes to the vehicle. Usually improves performance and is safer.

Are there no tie downs or even third seat mounting points within the confines of the bottom side to bolt through to? If not it depends on how far away they are and if you want to drill or not. The answer for me is usually not. After you've exhausted those options, an extension (leaving one or both sides longer) or exo frame would be necessary like you mentioned.

Static drops are my bag.

You're on the right track Shenker, always mount boxes to the vehicle. Usually improves performance and is safer.

Are there no tie downs or even third seat mounting points within the confines of the bottom side to bolt through to? If not it depends on how far away they are and if you want to drill or not. The answer for me is usually not. After you've exhausted those options, an extension (leaving one or both sides longer) or exo frame would be necessary like you mentioned.

After you mentioned seats I was thinking that he could make his bracket connect to his seat bolts,not sure about that specific vehicle though

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

Sorry I guess I should have added some specifics, I have included a picture of the box below for an idea and its going in a 2004 suburban. Don't have any pics of the back but there are 2 bolt in tie down points that I could most likely get longer bolts for, and use that to secure the frame to. The only problem with bolting the box direct to the tie down points in that the holes line up with the box walls making it impossible to get a bolt into, and I would prefer to not have to take woofers out in order to remove the box.

20150130_022036_zps2dbk2rtp.jpg

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

Bone Stock

As long as your using at least 2 points within your design I don't think you'll have any issues, but you could always make a "L" shaped bracket that is flat on the bottom and goes underneath your box and bolt that part down first then side your box in and secure it to your box. I'm not really sure how much your willing to modify, but anythings possible.

2014 JKU

Sound:

pioneer xav-65

4 12in pioneer tsw3003d4

2 pioneer gm-d9601

(much more in route)

General:

18in worx rims

33in tire

stinger src bumpers

light bars

6k hids

2in leveling kit

3.25in lift

Archived