Second Skin Audio

regular cab sierra box...

frankthetank

Hello there

So in a couple weeks when the snow melts I'm gonna start building the system for my 2000 nbs sierra..

I'm undecided though on doing a behind the box build with 2 10" dc audio xl's in a ported box or doing a blow through with 2 15" dc audio level 5's or maybe even a set of level 6 subs..

i understand I'm comparing apples to oranges, I just don't wannabe unhappy with the behind the seat idea..

i listen to about 50% rock,30% country and 20% rap/hip hop...

I've made boxes before, I'm pretty good at fiberglassing.. Ive even made a center console box in high school but I sold the vehicle before I got a sub in it..

so do you guys think a blow through would be overkill? Is it possible to get 1 foot per chamber behind the seats so I can port them?

I'm not a huge guy I'm 5'10" and weigh 180

the back of my seat is even with my center console seat but my head rests still hit the back window... do you think I'm gonna loose this seating position? That's why I'm considering a blow through

thanks for taking the time reading this novel of a post I've written

You're DEFINITELY going to lose that seating position with a box for 2 10" XLs. I had many different boxes in my regular cab 2003 and I lost significant leg room. You can get the airspace you're after easily for those subs, and the box won't be terribly big.

I'd say try the box for 2 XL 10s first and see what you think. If you're still in need of more, maybe THEN consider the blowthrough. Is a big commitment to cut your truck and you need to be ready for that type of thing.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Ok thanks man.. i looked at sub thumps box for my truck..

Its about .20 of a foot shy before sub displacement and its only a .25 inch shallow for the xl in top mount depth but I also doubt sub thump used a sub with a very big magnet diameter like the 10 xl..

so I figured if I fiberglass the floor and back wall and make the rest out of 3/4 mdf I can maximize airspace while keeping the most seat movement...

As far as cutting the cab and bed that'll be easy peazy for me.. i have a miller plasma cutter and welder so I can weld in a fill panel if I was to do away with the blow through down the road...

Beds already off so that'd be an easy cut but I suppose if I use a sawzall or a jig saw it would save me grinding time..

another quick question since you mentioned the passenger b pillar..

its probably been done but I haven't found a picture yet, I was thinking about glassing a 6.5 mdf ring in the b pillar trim panel just above the factory rear speaker.. think the panel and clips could support the 6.5's weight? I was also thinking of doing the same to the trim panel under the rear window so the 6.5's fire between the seats..

so in total I'd like to put 2 6.5s in each door, two above the sub box/ under window and one in each b pillar.. would it be worth the work? Loud subs are nice but I like hearing the actual music too lol..

I hate the sound of speakers by my head in my Sierra. I turned them off completely.

I highly suggest building a good front stage over the dash if you are going to put any effort into it.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I had a 5.25 comp set there and blended VERY well with my front stage. I had the gain on the amp down and I had it faded to the front. It wasn't harsh and in your face though, it was nice. I'm past that stage and won't put speakers there again.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Ok guys thanks for the responses. . Once the snow melts I'll be yanking out the seats and entire interior except the dash so I can either lizard skin or wicks the cab... Although idk what to use for a sound deadening layer with the wicks yet..

After I do that I'll mold the floor and the rear of the cab with fiberglass. . I'm gonna be replacing the carpet at the same time so I was thinking of cutting it to end just as the box begins.. bad idea? Potential rattle between box and floor maybe?

Archived