Offered a legalized Land Rover scam at work

Ok, last night, a co-worker asked me if had good credit. I asked why. He said he has a friend who is an exporter of high end vehicles, but can not buy a vehicle from Reeve's because he already did and Land Rover,BMW, and Porsche track who they sell their cars to.

Anyway, he knows someone who is willing to pay $2000 for someone to buy the $100,000 with his money, and than sell it to forward to the exporter. My co-worker would get a kickback as well..$500.

I thought this was a joke. I hate doing things on the low, or if it seems shady in any sense of word.

Well I looked it up. This really is not a scam, because no laws have been broken. These car manufacturers are just trying to keep the profits high and their names sacred. They can't tell you who to can sell it to, or not sell it to, and if you want to export it or not.

My second cousin in Peru told me importing cars to Peru can be lucrative for sure, but crunching the numbers, I will break even if I only send one car, say a 2001 VW Beetle, due to the shipping charged. I'd have to send 10 at a time to get a better shipping price! So the thought did cross my mind!

Anyway, here is the article. Interesting read. I'm not doing it.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/exporting-new-luxury-cars-lucrative-legally-questionable

-Frank

Archived