Second Skin Audio

Sub up, back, or sideways.

Knocker

any chance you could give me the actual diameter of the sub? as in straight across the top at the widest point.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

-"No way he's OCD." -said none of the people that know me ever.

04' Suburban "Lucifer" A.K.A #Lucii (Under Construction)

4 10s on 4kW in 6cu net @~28hz

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

92' JDM 325i "Stella" ~Going for sale to build a 350+hp E30~

Gutted pipes

96,000 OG KM's (59,000 mi)

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

89' Gen 3 Honda Prelude SI AWS "Odis"

Bone Stock

Possibly going to stance it

Hopefuy I don't catch any hell for posting this from another site but you could try this and possibly fit the 9" port back

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/direct-sound-solutions/177623-long-round-ports-small-enclosures.html

That is certainly an interesting idea. I see no reason why it shouldn't work well. I'd be temped to make the outside tube square or an octagon just so I could have more control over the port area. I definitely see myself trying this in a future build.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

EDIT: Made a dumb error with bracing displacement that lowered the tuning a bit, working on fixing it.

I had to modify your dimensions a wee little bit, narrowed up 3/4 inches, had to make it 25 deep to make room for the sub, and with the double thick baffle its now 21 3/4 inches tall, easily fixable if you cant work with it by using just a single thick baffle (changes the tuning to 32.41, so not much). the "bracing" number is from 2"x2" pieces cut in half to make 45* pieces in each vertical corner (4 total), and one in the bottom of the port, didnt get a chance to put them in sketchup because they are time consuming and its late here haha. hope it give you an idea anyhow.

Capture_zpsj5l5esdm.png

Capture%202_zpsrq52rcoa.png

I can send you the sketchup file, but it might not do you much good if you dont have a computer. when I built mine sketchup was my cut list. PM me if you want the file.

-If its loud, fast, outrageous, or all of the above, chances are i'll think its awesome.

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

Bone Stock

I love waking up to stuff like this. I just realized I should have given you the displacement volume of the Mayhem. It's .26 cubes. Having that extra foot to play with might make things easier. Is it possible to make the port point backwards and still have it be 21 inches tall? Can I mail you a beer?

Edit: Just came across this information on a box design guide. Interesting...

" Vent placement is not that critical, however a good rule of thumb is to keep the vent openings at least the diameter of the vent away from any wall, and two times the diameter away from the speaker cone itself."

That gave me a little more room to work with, this should be properly calculated this time displacement and all, all 45s are in the render as well. Slightly more port area/cube and works out to 20.75" tall actually with 1.5" thick baffle so ignore it being 20" tall. no real way to keep this port away from any wall in this situation, but like you said, its not critical. and dont worry about the beer haha, I like doing this stuff.

Capture%204_zpstvr5rggu.png

Capture%205_zpssns6lbkw.png

Capture%206_zps11fu7qks.png

/////Alpine

Crescendo

KnuKoncepts

Optima

SHCA

Build Thread

Gutted pipes

-System Removed-

1 10 on 1kW

Bone Stock

Yes so your 9" aero would be 9 + 4.5 (1/2 radius) so you would need it to be 13.5" diameter

The area of a circle is not calculated the same as a square or rectangle. The outer port would actually need to be 12.75 to have roughly the same area as a 9" port inside of it.

That being said..... Why not just do sub up and do 2 or 3 6" ports face the rear or 4-5 5" ports?

Thanks Shenker. That definitely gives me some ideas! As far as the multiple port thing goes, I would be fine doing multiple ports but the installer at my local shop said, and I read on here, that one big port gives better performance than multiple smaller ports. Even if they add up to the same port area. Trust me it's a lot easier to get two or three six inch aeros. Short (less than 20 feet) 9 inch pvc is fucking ridiculously difficult to get a hold of apparently and Home Depot has 8 inch and 10 inch concrete tube but when you tell them you need 9 inch tube they just don't fucking get it. I'm ready to have my sister go suck off a plumber for 9 inch pvc and a 45 degree fitting. Since this is my hobby I will make it happen though. Rant over.

Edit: I am also seriously considering making that box that Shenker designed. I may have to flip the port over so it exits the bottom of the enclosure but now that I see an actual design it's easier to picture in my head how slot porting designs work.

Archived