Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Final Box Design For Mayhem 18


Knocker

Recommended Posts

Posted

So now that the Ascendant Audio website is up and confirmed my questions on box size and tuning I have decided on this design. Sub up, port back with a vertical port on the right side of the box in a Toyota 4Runner. I'm borrowing a friend's workshop for the day so before I buy the MDF and make cuts... Does this look good? Especially concerning the port area of 14.77 sq in per cube since I have so much power on tap. I have a BC 5500 and strong electrical. This will be the first ported enclosure I've ever made so I really want it to work well. It will be for daily and I want good SQ and assume output will be very good. I listen to a wide variety of music.

Screenshot_2015-03-06-19-23-16_zpsu3caje

Posted

90 sqin is enough.

That is a lot of power for a 3" coil sub, and you better make sure the subsonic filter is set correctly or you will rip it apart mechanically.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Posted

Thanks man. I definitely have no intention of putting all that power to the driver. I only bought the 5500 so I could have the ability to upgrade and for headroom. I want to send it 3.5k tops and only for short periods (I was originally gonna get a 3500). I was planning on setting the HPF at around 28 or so or right around where the excursion curve stars getting steep and max out at about 1.1 inches of one way excursion if my computer model is correct.. The new 2015 Mayhem has more glue than the old model and a stiffer cone so they aren't supposed to rip apart as easily. Still gonna be careful though. I don't like destroying perfectly good equipment.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4888 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...