Sundown Audio

Alpine mrp-m2000 shutting off at high volume

Jordan Thurston

wait

is amp only stable at 2ohm?

Yes, and in one of my other posts I stated how they are REALLY inefficient. We've tested a few M1000's on the dyno and they're all around 55-60% efficient....which is AWFUL.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

I have my stock radio in the car with a LOC then it goes into an mtx crossover I turned the level down a little on the crossover and it seemed to help a little doesn't shut off as soon as it was before I think next week I'm going to do the big 3 then a xs power d3400 then I'm thinking maybe a 270 amp alternator from singer what I don't get is before it was shutting off when it was getting to about 12.3 volts now it will get to 11 volts but still stay going. I'm almost thinking it's something to do with my input maybe it is to much voltage going to it

I called alpine they said I deffinatley need an alternator im planning on doing that anyways and getting the xs power battery but I don't think that's the problem I tried the amp again played a 40 hz tone for 2 minutes straight turned it up all the way a couple times and voltage never went below 11.9 volts stayed around12.4 volts most of the time but the amp never cut out but then I played a song I'm da man by e40 and it would cut out on higher volumes what would cause the amp to do this on a song but not on a 40 hz bass note ?

I called alpine they said I deffinatley need an alternator im planning on doing that anyways and getting the xs power battery but I don't think that's the problem I tried the amp again played a 40 hz tone for 2 minutes straight turned it up all the way a couple times and voltage never went below 11.9 volts stayed around12.4 volts most of the time but the amp never cut out but then I played a song I'm da man by e40 and it would cut out on higher volumes what would cause the amp to do this on a song but not on a 40 hz bass note ?

Your impedance curve may be causing more rise on 40 hz than other frequencies. Thus your amp is pulling more current when the impedance is lower causing lower voltages to occur.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

So your saying at 40 hz it's causing more of a rise in inpedence vs other notes so maybe drawing less current ? I guess I'm a little confused lol sorry

That's correct.

Is there any chance that the amp itself is just bad ? I can send it in to get fixed for 85 bucks the guy I got it from gave me another 50 back so really only 35 bucks

It doesn't sound damaged to me, it sounds like you have bad electrical.

I don't know what else to do now the voltage isn't dropping below 12 volts when it cuts out and I can play that 40 hz tone long enough to where the voltage goes below 12 volts but I can't get it to cut out did it with 60 hz and 100 hz tone to almost seems like when there's bass with vocals it's cutting out but I found a song that when the bass hits there's no voice and it's not cutting out nearly as soon im not sure what else try Im going to hook my phone to the rcas on the amp and see if it still cuts out then go from there might replace the head unit I need to anyways.

Archived