Second Skin Audio

*UPDATED, FINISHED* Need help with my first ported box. Stuck between two design's

MrAcd

I am building a box for my truck and didn't know if the box plans are fine or not. It is going for 2 10 inch dcons and the box is a 3.57 cubes after sub displacement, I am attempting to tune to 33hz, talked to SSA and they told me aim for around 14.25 square inches of port area a cube, so i need around 51 square inches of port area.

This is were i need help, the port will the side ported btw, i have two options and don't know which is better. The first option would be to do a 11.5 wide by 4 inches tall port giving me 46 square inches of port area, with a net volume of 2.88 cubes with 1.44 cubes a sub.

The second option would be to make 2 ports one on each side of the box, being 11.5 in width and 2.25 tall. This giving me 51.75 square inches of port area and 2.63 net volume and 1.31 cubic feet a sub.

I am using WinISD to get port length measurements hoping they are correct. So should i side with less port area but more net volume for the subs or go with the recommended port area and just take the lose. I heard more port area also has less chance of port noise. This is a daily driver but im aiming for SPL. Also, with the ports on the sides i have around 5 inches till it hits the door, is this enough clearance for the ports on both options? I'm leaning toward the two ports but am questioning the design, i will attach some pictures so you can give me some feedback on the designs.

http://i.imgur.com/oqTYf3G.png this is the 2 ports
http://i.imgur.com/DsL4j1X.png this is the single side port

Thanks, Addison

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L
HU: Pioneer DEH X6600BT
Box/Subs: 2.9 cubes @33hz/ 2 10" SSA DCONS (SOLD! now AB XFL 15's)
Sub Amp: Soundqubed Q1-1200D @1 ohm (replacing with FSD 2600)
Component: Stock for now
Component Amp: Stock for now
Wiring for amp: SHCA 1/0 OFC
Under the hood: Stock 136 amp alt/ Big three with KNU OFC 0guage (replacing with 160amp)

You should stick with proper volume.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

You should stick with proper volume.

Proper volume as in box volume or port area? because, both boxes are above minimum space requirements, only one box has more volume than the other but also it has less port area.

Also port area, both have the correct amount of port area, only one box has the port area recommended to me by SSA and the other box's port area is "on the low end" - Araron at SSA .

Under the hood: Stock 136 amp alt/ Big three with KNU OFC 0guage (replacing with 160amp)

Why not try both? You can probably build one out of 1 sheet of wood.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Why not try both? You can probably build one out of 1 sheet of wood.

That even crossed my mind, but say for now, which one would you build? Im thinking the dual port one, only because i feel port area is more important that net space, 1.31cubic space a woofer is still a good bit. What do you think, with wood i have already bought, build the dual smaller ports, single chambered box with more port area OR build the single bigger port, single chambered box, that has a hair more cubic space but low port area?

I would go with that one for now. Try both though, it will be worth it to see what differences come out when you switch things up.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I would go with that one for now. Try both though, it will be worth it to see what differences come out when you switch things up.

Okay I will start in a few minutes, is the clearance with the doors going to be an issue with the ports on the side? I like the idea of the design but wanted some more input on it, does it look like a solid box?

You want to keep at minimum the width of the port between any walls that are near the ports entrance.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

You want to keep at minimum the width of the port between any walls that are near the ports entrance.

I only have 5 inches before it hits the door.. but i flip the box, were the box is forward firing the port width is then 2.25, right?

What I am saying is, what ever the width of the port. You need that at a minimum between the entrance of the port and another wall.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm