Battery/Alt Help

Hello everyone,

I'm unaware of how to figure the amount of alt. amps needed to run my desired system as well as what battery. I believe I may I know but considering I am new to this shit, I would like confirmation from you guys so I have no worries and can go boom boom boom down the street successfully.

Some info: Will be running AQ2200.2 @1ohm.. Output @14.4v is 2300W x 1.

I am either going to buy MechMan or Singer H.O. Alt. I have contacted Mike a month ago about his Alt and he said he has a 160A and has said it'll do fine with the system I plan on running. The MechMan alt is 250A and is $190 more. I've used a different couple calculators, possibly shitty ones idk, and they said 200+ Alt Amps needed. With Mike saying 160A will be fine, that just now confuses me on which one is right lol.

As for the battery, XS Power Calculator said the D2400. However, there is a Duralast Platinum Battery (34-AGM) that has more CA but 15 less AH and 35m less RC and is $150 cheaper.

And one more question: Exactly how important is the Big 3?

Thanks! and if I need to provide anymore information, just let me know. Again, I appreciate the help.

I'm still new to this but I can relay what has been said to me here. Big 3 is very important. Read the pinned thread about it. Other agm Batts will get the job done I guess, but xs is highly recommended by alot of people. They are able to discharge more quickly for bursts of power , and able to be recharged when others are toast. As far as amps needed r his is what I was told. Take your total watts , 2300, and divide it by the amps efficiency. Most class d will be 70. Others are less efficient. The half that since we're talking about music, so probably 50% duty cycle. Then divide by volts to get amps needed.

2300÷.70 is 3285. Half is 1643.÷ by 14.0 volts to get 117. Plus what ever your car needs to run all the accessories. A 160 alt may work but I'll bet bet you'll need a second batt in the back. Just get a 240 and the biggest batt you can fit up front and be done.

Get the bigger alt to start with and a good battery up front and an extra in back to make all your connections to and as extra capacity for starting and short demo's with the car off and to cover what the alt can't quite cover in output. Generally you calculate with around 10 amps per 100w of power to get an idea of what your looking at to power a system with, but also do not forget that your car requires a certain amount of draw as well which can be as much as 50a or more with newer cars.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I'm still new to this but I can relay what has been said to me here. Big 3 is very important. Read the pinned thread about it. Other agm Batts will get the job done I guess, but xs is highly recommended by alot of people. They are able to discharge more quickly for bursts of power , and able to be recharged when others are toast. As far as amps needed r his is what I was told. Take your total watts , 2300, and divide it by the amps efficiency. Most class d will be 70. Others are less efficient. The half that since we're talking about music, so probably 50% duty cycle. Then divide by volts to get amps needed.

2300÷.70 is 3285. Half is 1643.÷ by 14.0 volts to get 117. Plus what ever your car needs to run all the accessories. A 160 alt may work but I'll bet bet you'll need a second batt in the back. Just get a 240 and the biggest batt you can fit up front and be done.

Get the bigger alt to start with and a good battery up front and an extra in back to make all your connections to and as extra capacity for starting and short demo's with the car off and to cover what the alt can't quite cover in output. Generally you calculate with around 10 amps per 100w of power to get an idea of what your looking at to power a system with, but also do not forget that your car requires a certain amount of draw as well which can be as much as 50a or more with newer cars.

Thanks for the help! Appreciate it!

Archived