2005 Forester XT Heat unit opinions

Single din or double din?

Nav?

Bluetooth capability?

Front USB/AUX ports?

iPod/iPhone connectivity?

I just want to be able to plug my iphone in basically and use spotify or use a USB thumb drive. I have the factory subwoofer in the back though and I don't think you can keep that if you go to an aftermarket head unit, what are my options? I don't need bluetooth or nav. I'm on a budget so whichever is cheaper of the two between single and double, I think single is cheaper. I wanted a touch screen but they are very expensive it seems. Usually I go with Alpine but I've seen this other brand called Soundstream, how are they compared to Alpine? I'm looking for the best sound quality I can get on a budget also.

What budget are we dealing with here exactly? And does it include parts and labor?

As for the factory sub, it should work. Been awhile since I've done a Forester, but it should just be a regular 8901 harness.

If you want a touchscreen, then a double-din is going to be cheaper. A single-din means it's a motorized flipout, which quality ones aren't cheap. Poor selection for them too. Pretty much only one from each manufacturer.

IMO Soundstream has followed the masses and began cheaping out. Either way, please don't confuse Soundstream with Soundstorm. Soundstorm (also known as SSL) is utter garbage. The cheapest I'd probably recommend is the Pioneer AVH-170DVD. No bluetooth, but it has a USB input in the rear (extension cable included). Only 2 sets of RCA preouts, so I don't know what your future system plans are. More info please.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Archived