Dominic Tursini Posted June 2, 2015 Report Posted June 2, 2015 Hi I need some help I have a Targa v154d 15" subwoofer that is rated at 2000RMS according to the sources I have found. I am powering it with a reference audio 3200.1 monoblock amplifier. I believe it is around 800RMS @2ohm which my sub is wired at. Now my gain is set almost all the way down and bass boost and all that junk is completely off. I am running it off of my stock head unit (Dodge caliber) with a high to low converter. Now the problem I'm having is my subwoofer cone heats up to the point I can actually smell it and I don't know why this would be, it's running off of an amp that is rated at way less than its power handling capabilities with gain basically all the way down. It also only happens at half volume and up.
Ahmed Johnson Posted June 2, 2015 Report Posted June 2, 2015 It's the hi lo converter. I had the same problem last year when my HU was stolen and I was rocking the stock.
Dominic Tursini Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Posted June 2, 2015 I thought as much. So the only solution is a new H/U?
Dominic Tursini Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Posted June 2, 2015 Would it help if I had to turn the gains on the hi lo converter down and the rest of the gains up? If so is there a easy way of setting gains without an oscope on the hi lo
Ahmed Johnson Posted June 2, 2015 Report Posted June 2, 2015 In my case it didn't matter. I tried with converter low and amp higher, converter high and amp low, converter low amp low and it still got hot as hell. My amp did too. You could try not using any bass on the HU, on mine as long as it didn't go past three turns or lines on the bass display from the HU it didn't stink. The magnets still got hot as shit.
Dominic Tursini Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Posted June 2, 2015 I have my Hu bass all the way down in think it's -6db or -9db. This is a bit of a situation. The whole idea of keeping the stock Hu was to have my steering control working. Looks like I have to let it be... I might just use a tablet but I don't want to have the same problems
Dominic Tursini Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Posted June 2, 2015 I have my Hu bass all the way down in think it's -6db or -9db. This is a bit of a situation. The whole idea of keeping the stock Hu was to have my steering control working. Looks like I have to let it be... I might just use a tablet but I don't want to have the same problems
Dominic Tursini Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Posted June 2, 2015 Stupid phone posting multiple times...
Dominic Tursini Posted June 2, 2015 Author Report Posted June 2, 2015 I read about using 68kohm resistor inline instead of the hi lo converter. Can anyone tell me if this will solve my problem?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.