[PLAYING!] 2 RE SX 18s on 2 RF T1500s 16 cube walled Saturn

Looks good man, nice work and that two tone door pattern is pimp.

I think it looks pretty dope too!

Looks good man, glad you have some ideas for adding strength to the shell. I like your willingness to just dig in there and do whatev!!

I've watched a few builds and am pretty much just stealing the ideas they had and am applying them to my situation haha but thanks dog!

nice work

Thanks man!

Tuned in brother. Great work so far. I'm glad you stuck with the doors and got them to your liking. I hate seeing guys stall on bodywork.

It was still 90+ hrs of sanding alone, I kinda gave the short story of it all. I've been sparatically working on this for about a year and a half among other projects, moving out, work, and college so progress has been stunted quite often. That and my anxiety to take a step into more unfamiliar territory but once you're in, you just keep moving and after learning everything that has gone into this build so far, I'm more than confident to do another bigger build after this one!

Figured it was about due for another update, I've been steadily workin on getting piece after piece put in and I didn't know if people wanted an update on what's happening so far but I've got the first layer entirely finished and am most of the way through the second layer. Here's where I'm at so far!

IMAG0413_zpsitlpcpm1.jpg

Had to go to Home Depot and get two more sheets of wood, probably still need at least one more before everything's finished! Never thought I'd spend $250 on WOOD!

IMAG0434_zpsdcb5w3hb.jpg

All sealed off! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

IMAG0436_zpsa5xvp9lh.jpg

The last piece fit like a glove too! Also picked up some PL to try instead of wood glue and I'm actually really diggin it

IMAG0438_zpsmmct00ak.jpg

I thought it looked kinda cool so I kept this pic haha

IMAG0439_zpsdpxjzh4i.jpg

Just a highlight of just how "well" those angles went together. Not perfect but I'll take it

IMAG0442_zpsgtffwvnv.jpg

Especially since this is how I had to do all my angle work haha

IMAG0443_zpsyl85amnd.jpg

600366.jpg

IMAG0444_zps6ejfhqex.jpg

Had to build the second layer in the reverse order from the original layers just to get everything to lay in there easily and snugly. So the corners were the first ones to get put in

IMAG0445_zpsckqxauus.jpg

Mmmm, purty

IMAG0446_zps4wp8y2qe.jpg

Sanded such that all sides are perpindicular to the edge it connects to to make the pieces that would be attached there much easier to make.

IMAG0448_zpsjxvsujbh.jpg

Starting to look pretty beefy!

IMAG0457_zpstdavzkhj.jpg

Mmm those layers look so nice when they're actually visible

IMAG0459_zpso016texr.jpg

Shoved wood back in there and used Large-Gap Great Stuff to try to close any gap there might've been. Should at the very least seal off the sound from going back there through the top.

IMAG0461_zpss56cbqdl.jpg

Anyone have any ideas where these puppies are gonna be going? :P

IMAG0464_zpslewxekv6.jpg

Second layer done on the roof, the angle connecting the bottom to the rear, and the bottom itself.

IMAG0465_zpsbauraw3z.jpg

This is when it finally hit me about just how strong this box will really be compared to all the other shit ones that I've "built" before this one.

IMAG0466_zpsjcqakygw.jpg

The bottom was such a close cut that it was hard to get pressed down to where it should've been but once it was there with the PL between them, I feel confident that these layers won't be saying goodbye to eachother ever again!

IMAG0470_zpsbdwrslgm.jpg

These boards really came together well and I think it looks great.

IMAG0471_zpsasdpejz4.jpg

The top looks about as good, but the fiberglass cloth will smooth everything out. Kinda thinking of filling the gaps with wood-putty and doing sort of body-work with it. Will this ruin the structure of what the fiberglass is bonding to? (and by wood-putty, I mean sawdust mixed with Titebond III)

IMAG0469_zps9lh1npdl.jpg

And if YOU guessed they'd brace the sides of the box, congrats! I still have yet to do the other side of the box just because I got so much else done on the last day photographed here that I didn't feel like working past midnight. 14 hours of working straight was enough for me!

Glad to see another fellow PL junky. I love that shit. I bathe in it.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Not much in the way of pictures to show, the second layer is done and I'll be posting those later on but I was wondering about what would be good for bracing that wouldn't take up a bunch of volume. One local shop that has a fair reputation tells me that 2x4s are sufficient. I'd like something like threaded pipe with flanges on the end but the prices I was setting at Lowe's would put me over 200 if I ran two braces front to back two top to bottom and one side to side. Anyone have ideas for bracing?

Not much in the way of pictures to show, the second layer is done and I'll be posting those later on but I was wondering about what would be good for bracing that wouldn't take up a bunch of volume. One local shop that has a fair reputation tells me that 2x4s are sufficient. I'd like something like threaded pipe with flanges on the end but the prices I was setting at Lowe's would put me over 200 if I ran two braces front to back two top to bottom and one side to side. Anyone have ideas for bracing?

I love pipe bracing. Usually HD or lowes will cut and thread the pipe for free. Atleast here they do. What kills you in price are the flanges. You can get them way cheaper from McMaster. Should bring down the cost quite a bit.

Archived