Second Skin Audio

Enclosure degsin help - Torres box calculator

cj120

Alright guys here's my situation back when i was a complete virgin to car audio (yes i'm a noob still btw) an installer built 2 seperate enclosures for 2 american bass XD 12's, so having gained quite abit more knowledge, i want to go about building new enclosures for them or getting higher powered subs maybe

so what i did was try to enter my specs on torres box calculator as follows

Height - 16 inches

Width - 16 inches

Depth - 22 inches

Port height - 14inches

Port width - 2 inches

Port length 16 inches

Woofer displacment is 0.136 cubic ft and wood thickness is 0.75

so based on that i got a gross volume of 2.49 cubic ft and a net volume of 1.84 cubic ft with a tuning frequency of 44.97hz

so my question is can i use the calculator the create an L shaped port with the same box size to get a lower Frequency and if so then how do i go about it, i just want an idea of how the properly enter stuff so i would know what to do when i go about building another box i know there are alot of variables like the amount of RMS on the subs and what not but for now i just wanna experiment with this same box size

P.S can someone explain the major difference between the gross and net volume of the enclosure :unknw: thanks alot for the help guys

This is how gross volume and net volume relate to each other:

Net volume = Gross volume - Port displacement - Driver displacement)

To lower tuning you can do the following:

A ) longer port.

B ) less port cross-sectional area.

C ) increase net volume.

thanks for the response

So when a manufacturer recommends the enclosure to 1.5 cubic ft do they mean the gross or net volume?

also one of my questions was how do i create an L-Shaped port with this box calculator

The manufacturer usually means net volume. The calculator automatically bends the port when it's too long to run straight. If you notice under box stats there is a part labelled 'port bends'. If it says yes then an 'L-shape' port must be used.

Vw Polo

Pioneer Deh-6050UB

Sundown Saz-3500d

DD Audio 9500 15''

5.5 cubic feet box with 10 inch port @ 38hz

I live to hear the Bass drop!!!

Archived