jroo Posted August 8, 2015 Report Posted August 8, 2015 Folks need some help on a sub selection. It is certainly going to be 4th order because I will want to run the port through the ski hole in my Volvo S80. Years ago I had good success doing a similar set up with the old Kicker round solobarics but not going to use subs that old. I need a single 10 inch that works well in 4th order and has a 4ohm load(old Rockford 800a2) my amp is about 800 rms mono so sub needs to be able to handle that. I am looking to stay under 300 bucks but have a little wiggle room over that. If you know cheaper than 300 bucks, great. More into sounding good with a little bump. I wont tell you I am some SQ guy. I like it to hit for a 10" but sound like music. The space on the back of the seat where the ski hole is close to 17 inches tall and about 34 inches wide. I can certainly play with depth into the truck, but will have more than enough space for a 4th with a single 10. Staying with a single driver because I just dont want to give up the whole trunk anymore. What subs fit the bill?
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 8, 2015 Report Posted August 8, 2015 What frequency are you going to cross over to the sub at? What kind of music do you listen to? "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
jroo Posted August 9, 2015 Author Report Posted August 9, 2015 I listen to a bit of everything. Rap and R &B for me, pop/radio stuff with my kid, and wife listens to 70's 80's stuff. Music is all over the map. I think the last 4th I had was close to a 1:1 ratio and was tuned around 55hz. The goal was trying to play 70 to 25, but that is going off memory. I will try to get a design it close to that. I will double check but want it to pick up with midbass and that will be around 70 hz.
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 9, 2015 Report Posted August 9, 2015 Ok, that helps a lot. I'll look around a bit and see what might work well. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
jroo Posted August 11, 2015 Author Report Posted August 11, 2015 specs wise, what should I be looking for. I have heard it it works sealed, it should work 4th? I have also heard look for low Fs and high Qts?
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 11, 2015 Report Posted August 11, 2015 Yeah that's pretty much it. You want a sub with a looser suspension, which lowers the Fs, and medium Qts (.5 - .6ish). I've been looking for some good candidates, but its difficult to find something that I really feel good about recommending. Most of the subs in the RMS range you need have too stiff of suspensions. I'm still looking but the two I feel the best about right now are the Dayton UM10-22 and Dayton RSS265HO. Though neither of those is ideal either. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
jroo Posted August 12, 2015 Author Report Posted August 12, 2015 Someone else mentioned the Dayton especially the ultimax but its out of stock. I saw partsexpress had this RE sub, do they hold up well? http://www.parts-express.com/re-audio-rex10-v2-10-subwoofer-driver-4-ohm--268-8051
Triticum Agricolam Posted August 12, 2015 Report Posted August 12, 2015 I don't have any experience with that RE sub. Based on its specs, it would work well in a 4th order bandpass, but its only a 200 watt sub. If you are looking at lower wattage subs there are probably better choices. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
jroo Posted August 13, 2015 Author Report Posted August 13, 2015 I think I might stay away from the Dayton subs. The specs look good, but not sure how reliable they are. On parts express they have more reviews of broken subs than they do of them sounding good. It looks like they may have QC issue on some model subs.
nutella6996 Posted August 13, 2015 Report Posted August 13, 2015 one of my friends have 2 10 inch ultimax and theyre not stiff at all, also theyre 600rms subs ,and theyre taking 700 rms each, he has them for half a year now and they still good. -SPANKYWANKY
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.