pro audio mid bass

LsChevy

I guess super tweeters have no place in car audio

The reason most people don't like them is on account of their dispersion pattern and lack of equalization. Super tweeters an be magic in the right hands but we're listening in the near field so we absolutely need eq. 30 dollar ones aren't going to cut it though. I'm not saying you need to run out and get fostex T90's or anything but somewhere in the middle. As far as eq, Randall is right. They need judicious eq to really make them awesome. 30 bands per side would really be ideal. You can also stuff the horn mouth with fluval foam to take the bite out of them or use a round over on the bottom out of PVC. The advantage over traditional tweeters is legion. The output and dynamics are greatly superior in horns due to the sensitivity. Once you have a finely tuned pro audio setup it will be difficult to ever go back to conventional speakers. Having said that the setup I had in my Malibu was about 550 bux. That's the horns, compression drivers, and 12" midbass I paired with them. They are difficult to tune. I had 25+ hours of actual tuning before I stopped fussing with it. That is running an initial rta sweep so I could start with a semi flat response looking for peaks and nulls. Then going through with some of favorite tracks and listening, tweaking, listening again. They really need DSP unless your running beryllium CD's on a 5watt tube amp. Most compression drivers freq. Response falls like a meteor after 14k. Partially due to the horn, partially due to the driver itself. It's also somewhat difficult to get the stage to eye level. Now that I know they would fit in my van I wish I hadn't sold them. :( I know most of this doesn't or wouldn't necessarily apply to a ground pounder setup but that doesn't mean you can't go the extra mile.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived