Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

2 x Sundown SA-15's enclosure with constraints


buff_n3rd

Recommended Posts

Posted

Looking for input on my box and whether it would work given the following size constraints.

It appears I have 18" h, 23" d, 43" w, that I can work with. I can work outside of the height and depth if I need to but I wanted to keep it somewhat stealthy. (yea, 2 15's are stealthy)

I have a 2011 Rav 4. The back is pretty darn big. Guess they have optional third row seats but I don't have, nor need them.

As you can see I have a rear deck cover. I'd like to be able to keep it so I can conceal the subs when going to grocery store, at work, etc... This is roughly 18" high to the bottom of the beam.

1.jpg

Now I do have about 33" from the back of the seat to the door but I will show you why I want to go 23" in a second.

IMG_20150819_082022.jpg

Width wise I have about 43". If there is room to make this an inch or two smaller after all calculations are done, I'd be game. Might be able to add some sort of setup to bolt the box to those hooks in the back for safety.

IMG_20150819_082052.jpg

At 23" deep, there is a seem in the under panel that flips up. Think it's made of plastic (not that it matters).

IMG_20150819_082217.jpg

Here is the top view of the cover

3.jpg

It gives me access to this

IMG_20150815_153522.jpg

IMG_20150815_153458.jpg

I plan to build a rack that the amps can fit on with a battery if necessary. (looking at the SCV-2000D for the subs, not sure what I am doing with the mids and highs yet).

The hole is about 33" d x 19" w x 9" h. The top right in the above pic has something under it so it's not completely square.

Anyways, with all that, given the dimensions I have, can two SA-15 subs work in a ported box tuned to what you think is best (32-33hz).

The outside dimensions are, 18x23x43 which would give me a box that is gross 10.3 cubic feet Sundown calls for 3-4 cubic feet per sub.

JoeX :) Any ideas?

Thanks for your input.

Posted

Here is a suggestion considering your constraints, everything firing back, power: to subs rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, minimum port clearance 6 1/4", figure is just an assembly guide:

2sa15.jpg

2x%20pio%20pic_zps608hagmy.jpg

Posted

Joe, would giving up height and/or depth give me more options. I'm clueless and open to any and all. I don't mind giving up space if its an increase in quality etc...

Posted

In that type of vehicle subs up port back is the preferred way to go but since you have that cover you would get rattling firing directly at it so subs back, size wise 3.5 net per sub is good on 2K power and that above is almost there, I could do subs up and increase to 7 net (or more) if you wanted just let me know any changes you would like to see.

Posted

Sorry Joe. I should have stated that I would remove the cover (takes 3 seconds) while cruising around and put it on in places that are not really the norm. Shopping malls, movie theater, etc. I know I said work but I park in a garage.

Would be curious on your thoughts increasing depth.

Thank you.

Posted

As long as you have proper port clearance to the rear gate there would be no problem increasing box depth.

Posted

Joe, can you show me the dimensions you feel would be best regardless of my height and depth parameters. Those are flexible but the width is really static.

Posted

Here's what you could do if you have 7" clearance and can remove the cover, pretty simple to build too:

sa15_D.jpg

sa15_supb.jpg

Posted

For the top sheets, are the sub cutouts the same size or can the top be larger to make a recessed opening for a flush look?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 7626 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...