Second Skin Audio

New to box design

mcfalcon

Ok I have used the search button and am ready for the constructive criticism I am about to receive lol. I like to plan things out in advance and this is the question I'm stuck on. Using a box calculator it is asking me for what hertz I want to tune the port to. I have no idea about hertz and tuning and those things. I do not plan on competitions or anything like that. I just like to listen to music when I'm driving. I listen to rock hip hop and rarely country. Now I don't know if you need it but here is some info on equipment. It's gonna be a mdf box. 2 12 inch subs at .14 displacement each. Suggested ported size is 1.25 each. So with suggested size and displacement I'm at 2.78. Not sure if port area should be added to that or if just mdf for port displacement should be subtracted. Subs are rated for 600 watts rms. I'm gonna have a 1k amp on them. Anyways the question is about what hertz to tune to just for listening pleasure. I know it varies from ear to ear but I want an overall good frequency. I'm not 100% against sealed.Also xmax of sub is 22mm. Thanks in advance for all help given.

Still learning but have started gathering.

OK I've got some questions, what make and model of subs are they? What make and model of amp are you going to be using? What kind of vehicle are they going in?

Generally speaking most people tune to the low 30s hz. When you calculate the net area for port tuning you need to subtract out the space the port takes up. Be careful with online box calculators, not all of them are very accurate.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok thanks for the warning on the calculators and the response also. The truck is a 2000 gmc sierra 1500 z71. Extended cab but 4 door. I'm going to put 2 12" DC level 2 under the backseat. The amp that I have in now and will be using is a Rockville rxd-m3. From what I've seen it does rated. I have a phoenix gold amp for mid which I will be replacing also but that's a different story.

Are you going to raise the back seat? Fitting a properly sized box for two 12" subs under the back seat of a pickup is going to be tough.

I looked up the specs on your amp, it uses a 120 ampere fuse, which means it probably doesn't get anywhere close to rated power, its probably still good for 1200 or so watts, which should get those DC Level 2's moving pretty well.

What are the dimensions of the space you have to work with?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I'll have to measure in the morning but itS pretty spacious under there. And yes this amp has 2 ratings. One what they claim and one cea. Which I know doesn't mean it is quality but amp dyno shows it does a little over cea. It's cea at 1000.

I'll have to measure in the morning but itS pretty spacious under there. And yes this amp has 2 ratings. One what they claim and one cea. Which I know doesn't mean it is quality but amp dyno shows it does a little over cea. It's cea at 1000.

OK yeah, if its CEA rated at 1,000 watts I can believe that. Its interesting that it has two different ratings, but whatever.

Builds:

Thanks for helping me. Crap I can't figure out how to link it but if you search rockville on here Derek Big D did some amp dyno on it. Well the m4 which is 1 step above. Anyways I'll get some measurements tomorrow.

http://s935.photobucket.com/user/Christianfalcon88/library/ . Sorry a little technology impaired. These are my dimensions and you were probably right about air space. The seat angles so you might have to look at picks. The width of the box can be 14.25 inches. Width is 20 inch to Trans tunnel. That's if seperate boxes. 57.5 if one box all the way across. The rear of the box height can be 8 inches. The front height can be 9.5. Those heights are max and not allowing for sub . The Trans tunnel is 14.5 wide and 3.5 tall. I hope this helps. I'm not against going sealed or even doing 10's. Just was trying to get some more cone area lol.

Crap. I see that I'm not gonna be able to have the right box size. Not even for 2 10s probably. I was looking at it by cone area because that's what I have always done. It's hard for me to believe that 1 12 in the right box can sound better than 2 10s but I see it on here alot. Would I be better off trying to put a DC level 4 12 with right box than 2 level 2 10s or 12 in too small of a box?

If you want to use a sealed box you might be able to fit those two 12"s, two 10" will almost for sure work.

Builds:

Archived