Second Skin Audio

Appreciate some help on building a box

fistfull95

Hey SMD Forums,

I have been trying to get into car audio for about half a year now, but with a lot of problems. Last month I finally decided to step up my game and buy 2 SPL Dynamics XTR-300D2s, which are monsters to me. I know most people will probably laugh at my setup but please bear with me haha.

I have made a box using a (crappy) online box designer, and learned the hard way that I should have gone to a professional to calculate the box design. My lows burp and sound like the subs are bottoming out, and my highs are not very loud. It's not terrible but I think my setup can be inproved.

I do have some difficult variables though. First off all, my car is a Peugeot 206, so my trunk space is very limited. The box I have now takes up just about 100% off my trunk, along with a false floor that houses both my amps and a power cap (Should I remove that after doing the big 3?). The subwoofers are rear-firing (I think? They are pointing to the rear off the car lol), but I'd like them firing upwards. I have about 2 inches of space between the subwoofers and the tail gate. I wonder wether that is enough so I think I'd be better off firing the speakers upwards.

Due to the fact that I have little space, I have come up with the idea that I could install the subs inverted? So that the box doesn't have to compensate for the volume of the subwoofers. Just thinking out loud here so if I say something stupid please don't throw rocks at me lmao.

There is my problem. I like this really deep 30Hz-ish bass, but I also like the higher 60Hz-ish range as it suits my fast music preference. At this point decaf sounds like there is a very tiny 20w subwoofer with the exception for some higher tones.

This is a link to the subwoofers: http://www.spldynamics.fi/products/subwoofers/XTR-series/xtr-300d2-e.html

I am running it off of a no brand 800wrms 2ch amp, but I am upgrading that to a 2000w amp, probably the SPL-Dynamics amp to go along with them.

This is the box I have made, so you can see the dimensions. It's not made according to the subwoofer specifications, just made with an online box maker thingy. Please note that I have made the box 3cm smaller, so that I would have a bit more space between the subwoofers and the tail gate.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7i3bnaayby1w6b6/SPL-Dynamics_Peugeot_206.skp

I hope someone can help me here.

Thanks in advance,

Ivo

tl;dr: I have a messed up box which fills up my trunk for 99%, but I am missing lows and highs.

Post your absolute max dimensions you can fit for a box.

Is mm dimensions a problem? I can convert them to inches if so.

My trunk has more space on the bottom than on top. Bottom dimensions: 99cm x 44cm. Top dimensions: 99cm x 32,5cm. Height: 38cm. I have been thinking on unfastening the rear seats so they can sit a bit more straight if you know what I mean, apologies; English is not my first language.

This is a test box for you to evaluate, took 3 extra cm depth, the 3 4 inch round ports will need to turn (with elbows), bracing is a 1.5" wooden dowel rod (as close as you can get in metric units), wood thickness is 18mm, power: to subs rated, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, figure is just an assembly guide:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 35 Hz
Vb = 3.5 ft^3

External Height = 38 cm
External Width = 99 cm
External Depth = 47 cm
External Depth 2 = 35.5 cm

Port Quantity and Dimensions:

Number of Ports = 3
Pipe Port Diameter = 4 in
Pipe Ports Length = 20.87 cm

SPL.jpg

Thank you very much, I will make a cardboard mockup to see if the box fits. Do the speakers need to be installed inverted? I kind of like that look but it's not a must at all.

BTW: The angles should be facing inwards I suppose? So facing the subwoofers? And do the angles add up to the total length of 20.87cm, or are they seperate?

The length of the pipes is measured along their center line (each is 20.87 cm), see if you can actually fit and then I can help you with the details, if you can get larger dimensions that would be better, and yes reverse mounting the subs would help if you feel up to it.

Archived