Jump to content

Afrakes' 04 Blazer Build: UPDATE 2/18


Recommended Posts

Posted

Get this build started. what are you waiting for man?

Well, the wife says I have to clean the garage first. Besides that, nothing. My crimper will be here tomorrow and battery posts next week. At that point all I need is the box. And I have the funds for materials. Just missing a design.

LMAO, my wife says something about me needing to clean the garage every week. I just keep moving the mees from one project to another.

Lmao! Yeah, I had been doing the same with great success. Now that there's a baby on the way it seems as if my wife is not falling for my old tricks anymore. I honestly have a list of thing to do before I can start this build (old deals I made with the wife in order to purchase parts when it prolly wasn't the best timing financially).

Not to mention deer season opens in a couple weeks so my budget for box material is gunna have to go towards camping/gas expenses. That's ok though, bass scares the deer away. :)

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

It played lows very well. I'm not sure exact notes I just played normal music no decaf or slowed or bass added songs, but it loved the song worldwide choppers by tech n9ne. I built the box a year or so ago so I don't remember port area but I can prob figure it out tomorrow I'll go out and Measure the box and port size and calculate it I haven't used that rig since I bought my truck.

Yeah man I would appreciate that! My previous build was lacking in the port area section and I think was the reason I couldn't play shit under 34 hz. I definitely don't want to make that same mistake again, but don't wanna go too big either. Was thinking maybe 2 6" aeroports, or maybe 3 4". Idk.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Alright! Got my garage cleaned up today so now all I have to do is teach my wife how to parallel park/back around a corner so she can get her license (her parents didn't think it was an important skill to learn). Then it's build time!

Before

AEA05A3A-4BD5-4273-83FD-7CC632A249CA_zps

After.

420FFC1C-3799-4ED9-9272-49B5BACE3EC9_zps

The old switcheroo. Glad to have 2 garages!

Before

EDA35E30-C5FA-4DB2-BFB5-60A5F40C98FD_zps

After

CD8A0EAF-09D3-4169-B3E7-B7776FB9D51F_zps

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Lol

My garage looks a lot like the before...I should get on that

No judgement here, looked like that for the last 6 months lol

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Alright so I just received my new battery posts so I can use my sky high battery terminals with my stock battery until I get an agm. The posts were actually a gift from a member on here who had them laying around so decided to ship them to me free of charge! It's what I love about his forum.

The posts

D2E42225-A834-422A-8EE1-CE875015FBC8_zps

What the setup will look like once installed

C5935CCA-DD18-4A36-8EBC-D08AE410772E_zps

A715B714-1BB6-457C-AAC5-A34A2E8A239A_zps

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Update*

Well, the transmission on the blazer decided to go out on me. I had been noticeing a steady decline in power the past few months, followed by a sound (almost like a loose bolt, could never pinpoint where it was coming from though) that started last week. Finally yesterday I went to pass somebody on the highway, everything downshifted, then it redlined with absolutely zero additional power to the wheels. Almost didn't make it up the hill to my apartment, by the time I got to the top I was rolling at 10mph in 3rd and any attempted downshift led directly to audible grinding and no power. Fml. Needless to say the build is on hold indefinitely until I get this all sorted out. Not the kind of expense my family needed 2 months before our first child is born.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

  • 3 months later...
Posted

Alright guys it's been a while since I posted in here. So good news all around, truck didn't have a busted tranny. Ended up being a series of things but the main issue (and what caused my total loss of power) was a clogged catalytic converter. Got that fixed, so as of right now the truck is in perfect working order (knock on wood). But I did start to feel something weird in the steering wheel though. Before, while the truck was on, I could barely nudge the wheel and feel immediate resistance (what little there is) from the power steering. Now, there seems to be about a 1/2" of "free space" for the wheel to move BEFORE and resistance is felt by the power steering. It's especially noticible on the highway, any bump pulls the wheel the 1/2" or so before the power steering assists/kicks in. Any ideas?

Anyhow, the build is back on. I'd like to get it playing by Valentine's Day as that will be the first date for my my wife and I since our daughter was born:

1E02EE46-68E4-424E-BC4C-915DA5C78294_zps

Lol had to do it.

So I got a box plan made up: gunna be 4.25 cubes before bracing/45's/port displacement. So hoping to be right around 3.5 cubes after all is said/done.

This is the main idea here roughly mocked up with cardboard. Have an L shaped floor pice, then will creat a "step" of sorts inside the box to hug the wheel well and maximize space. Box will come up to the top of the backseat a, angled backpiece to maximize space. Should have enough room to mount amp on far right side where there will be a natural gap left from the box/vehicles contours. Everything will be rounded off inside the box, single layer 3/4" mdf, may add a second layer to the baffle for strength and to give the woofer a countersink without sacrificing the integrity of the box. Shooting for 60"-70"^2 port area.

3BEF91F7-E728-4A53-9CC1-1D5B9D36456B_zps

Here is where the step will come into play:

0149FF00-D4F0-4741-A53B-98232C6D2E75_zps

So once I round everything over I'm really hoping this idea will pan out. Port will only be 14"wide (distance from far left of box to where box will begin its step) so that I can do the entire port with no bends. Never done a slot before (always built sealed or used aeros) so I hope this idea pans out. Thoughts????

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Only other thing I've had time to do is switch my battery post out thanks to a giving member on here. I appreciate it.

They look pretty damn good in my opinion. Old post are pictures on battery.

6ACC2602-9BB7-4BC9-82A8-1FC27A1408F6_zps

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Got out in the garage for a few hours this morning. Got the majority of the box cut/mocked up. All that's left is the right, top, and front. Need to pick up another sheet of mdf though. All these cuts were just with scrap I had lying around.

How a real man cuts wood: scraps, homemade square T, tape measure, and a skill saw.

4BD8B22B-AE15-40E5-B505-6A7C54974095_zps

Bottom cut

B74BE022-38D2-4D3D-BBAC-FD80E832BFA1_zps

Getting the sides mocked up and figuring my angles for the rear piece

87D6A4DA-4976-4B4C-9F21-8C288992DB6A_zps

Got the "step" all cut/angled. All the 90's will be rounded with a router.

059D497E-281E-411A-8B58-3E1AB3344321_zps

Not too bad of a fit. Should piece together nicely. It will obviously sit flush once glued/screwed/trimmed.

21914D5D-50B0-4572-8CBC-215AD4C27500_zps

Should have the last couple pieces cut and the final port plans figured this week. Thanks for looking guys

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 907 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...