What's the difference? coaxial/mids and tweeters

Go-N-Def

You seem to understand. 1. Eqing, is there something special my headunit can't handle? If I wired every thing up this way I'm talking what kind of outcome would I get? Are we talking sound like factory doors even with quality speakers?

What we are saying is, the same effect will be had using a 6dB/octave set up. Aftermarket coax's will be an improvement over the stock speakers, but you can't stretch that out to "even better" is you use a step up from a coax- better mids and highs, and cross them over with a 6dB/octave set up. All you're doing to using components with bigger magnets, and higher RMS requirements. You need to give these components their just deserves. lol. What head unit do you have? My Pioneer 960MP was bad ass. Picked it up for $75. Lasted 1.5 yrs. It had DSP and was 3-way active, but I never used it.

One simple way to get you in the right direction without crappy caps and resistors that cost a few dollars is to get a 3 way active crossover. I have an old school Lanzar X3.

It will cross the frequencies for you. Highs, mids, lows. Clean, simple, effective. A DSP equipped CD player will do the same thing for you as the Lanzar.

-Frank

I'm not seeing what the passive does that the amp cant. Isn't that a reason for active?

:D Let's change the scenario you so can see what you're not seeing.

Coax is a like a pretty chic, a 6. T & A are OK. A few imperfections. Pretty but forgettable.

Components with passive crossovers is an 8. Gets your attention. Major T& A. Memorable*. The kind you talk about to your friends. "Dude, this chic was hot".

Active components is a 10. "Yeah, I'm going to stare at her, even in front of my girl!" Smoking hot. You even dream about her hot.

See the progression? Why take components used for active set ups, and work backwards to a coaxial set up trying to get at least a half decent sound of the step up

passive components? Things don't work like that. If they did, everyone would be doing it!

It's like telling your "6", "Hey can you wear this dress like that "10" had on....it will make you a "10"!! lol. It doesn't work that way.

-Frank

That's why I asked about the budget. No reason to get upgraded speakers if you can't cross them over right. You're options are a bi amp passive crossover network, an old school 3 way active crossover, or a headunit with a dedicated DSP. Trying to use tiny capacitors is pointless if you don't know which ones to use, especially if you are just going to mimic a set of inferior coaxials.

If you really want to get a rather cheap headunit, look at the old school Eclipse 5441/2301 DSP accessory, or better yet a 8443. I own the 5441 for $75 off Ebay, and the 8443 I believe I picked that up at a pawn shop for $35 dollars, somehthing like that.

The 5441, you have to buy the DSP 2301 accessory to control the cutoff frequencies. They normally sell on Ebay for under $40. The 8443, it has the DSP built in like the Pioneer PRS80.

-Frank

What do you mean by bi-amp? 2 dedicated amps. I didn't want to work that hard. It seems easier to get 2 sets of components.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

Archived