What's the difference? coaxial/mids and tweeters

Go-N-Def

Starting at a 4 channel amp. What is the difference between running 2 sets of coaxials or 2 sets of random mids and tweeters?

The coaxials may have a small cap/bass blocker but, would they sound a like?

I think I might be misunderstanding what active is in depth. I don't plan on using a processors or any of that, just the Amps capabilities. sorta making my own coaxials. I could just buy some but I like the fact of having the mids on 2 channels and the tweeters on 2 channels.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

Coaxials are where the tweeters are attached to the mids, kinda pointless to make your own. Running active is where the woofer and tweeter have their own channels on the amp with their own crossovers.on your amp channels 1 & 2 would be for your mids, 3 & 4 for your tweeters, or vise versa.

Coaxials are where the tweeters are attached to the mids, kinda pointless to make your own. Running active is where the woofer and tweeter have their own channels on the amp with their own crossovers.on your amp channels 1 & 2 would be for your mids, 3 & 4 for your tweeters, or vise versa.

I was writing a longer version of what you stated so delinquently. I'm still going to finish my thought though. lol.

-Frank

All that I understand but, is it required that I have a sound processor or a h/u that allows active? The reason for all this is that I can't find a set of coaxials I really like so my attempt is to (not literally) create my mids and highs setup. I like the crescendo rt1 and ct mids. They would be 4 ct mids on 1/2 and the rt ' s on 3/4 tuned and crossed by the 4 channel amp.

Anyone see any possible issues

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

I applaud your curiosity. You obviously know what coaxials sound like since that is what comes stock on most vehicles.

You can mimic a coaxial with what you are trying to do, but you will get the same result. Mediocre sound really. My question is why do it?

I am obviously no expert, but I am in the same situation as you with my Image Dynamics CXS62 mids/highs. I purchased them for a great price without the crossover from a guy that ran them active. So I have asked the same exact question! Currently I am using a set of JL Audio XR crossovers and they sound amazing when paired with an old school Crossfire CFA302 amp and Eclipse 8443 (8V RCAs). This crossover can be set up as a bi-amp application so you may want to pick up a pair for $30-40 on Ebay! It may help you a hell of alot better than what you are trying to do! The only thing with the JL's is the tweeter needs to be 8 Ohm and like to be crossed at 4K (I believe). My ID tweets are 8 Ohm so they match up.

This is what you want to do.....6dB/octave. Just ignore the parallel set up. What I wanted to emphasize was the resistor and cap to the speakers in question.

crossover6_zpsybdpxlmv.jpg

The thing with what you are asking, brings up a few things that need to be resolved.

1. You can't really attenuate the tweeter without additional resistors. So it's trial and error. You're going to need an equalizer to help you if anything! The fact that you "Don't want to use a processor of anything like that" makes me cringe. lol.

2. Looking at the caps/bass blocker on the coaxials vs. an actual crossover network, the cap is the only thing that is cutting the frequency down (no highs) making it more full sounding. To me they sound like crap without additonal cut-offs.

Basically, from what I understand, the higher the octave, the cleaner the sound.

People who not run active use this, a 12dB/octave passive crossover network. WAY CLEANER THAN WHAT YOU ARE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH!

crossover12_zpsoyiae6o1.jpg

"In the network pictured in figure 2, the HP blocking capacitor, C1, increases in impedance with decreasing frequency, while at the same time the shorting inductor L1, decreases in impedance with decreasing frequencies, hence shorting out the low frequencies while the capacitor is increasingly blocking them. The inverse is true of the LP filter. L2 is blocking highs and passes lows, while C2 is shorting out the highs and passing the lows. This is how the LP filter blocks highs and passes lows while the HP filter is performing the inverse function. It is this dual action that allows this kind of network to create twice the blocking action (12 db) per octave of frequency than the simpler 6 db/octave network. If you did not understand this on the first read, that is OK, you have a lot of company. Think about how the capacitor and inductor change their impedance with frequency, and take another look at this circuit diagram. If you try, you can figure out what is going on as the frequencies change."
Hope this helps.
-Frank

If you plan on using the "active" set up the same as a coaxial set up why waste your time and 2 extra channels on an amp. Due to the fact that the tweets are still stacked on the mid your still gonna have shitty shitty sound albeit with better processing as compared to a capacitor.

If you plan on using raw drivers like a 2 or 3 way set up, keep asking questions. If your gonna stack like a coaxial, don't waste your time or amp power

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Look at the difference in the crossovers and how they changed in the past decade.

099_zps4hbbjwgg.jpg

Boston Acoustics RC51 on the left. Touted as "Super clean sounding" back in the day.

For me I had to cross them at 125 HPF to decrease distortion at high volume.

Infinity Perfect 6.1 Crossover on the right. Able to play louder and maintain a clean sound.

Look at the filtration! My JL XR crossovers are the same by bi amp-able.

-Frank

Rolex, lol. I see where he is coming from, trying to make a house out of match sticks instead of 2x4. I get it. OP, what is your budget? You're going to need alot of bandaids to patch up your gaps you are going to create trying to save $$$. If you don't have the cash for the voyage you want to embark on,.....don't bother asking.

Planning is everything.

-Frank

You seem to understand. 1. Eqing, is there something special my headunit can't handle? If I wired every thing up this way I'm talking what kind of outcome would I get? Are we talking sound like factory doors even with quality speakers?

If you plan on using the "active" set up the same as a coaxial set up why waste your time and 2 extra channels on an amp. Due to the fact that the tweets are still stacked on the mid your still gonna have shitty shitty sound albeit with better processing as compared to a capacitor.

If you plan on using raw drivers like a 2 or 3 way set up, keep asking questions. If your gonna stack like a coaxial, don't waste your time or amp power

I am talking about raw drivers and tweeters. Drivers on 2 channels and tweeters on 2. I wasn't going to use actual coaxials. But to me it seems the same. The coaxials connect directly to the amp and the raw drivers connect directly to the amp. The only thing I see is setting the tweeters separate for the mids. Is this a shitty way to go?

Archived