Sonic Electronix

I am so baffled! Help troubleshoot please

Is there a tool or some sort of meter to test things like my problem here? I have a multimeter.. just not sure what to check for. This is so frustrating.

Thing is.. The amp is 2 weeks old, bought from Amazon. Woofer is 2 months old. These things should be under warranty. I dont know which one to blame!

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492
Alpine 4ch f600 - Alpine components

SoundQubed 4500 - Sundown Audio X12

Set your DMM to 20ohms (your meter may have a different setting) and attach a lead to each input on the speaker (for an SVC sub, if it's DVC do one coil at a time) then watch the ohm reading as you gently move the cone in and out. You should get a sweep, meaning the resistance changes as you move the cone, and it should always have a reading. If it's DVC do the same test on the second coil. If you don't get a reading at all or the reading cuts out while moving the cone, might be a poor tinsel lead or a bad coil. If the sweep looks good then you have problems with either the amp or the wiring

Set your DMM to 20ohms (your meter may have a different setting) and attach a lead to each input on the speaker (for an SVC sub, if it's DVC do one coil at a time) then watch the ohm reading as you gently move the cone in and out. You should get a sweep, meaning the resistance changes as you move the cone, and it should always have a reading. If it's DVC do the same test on the second coil. If you don't get a reading at all or the reading cuts out while moving the cone, might be a poor tinsel lead or a bad coil. If the sweep looks good then you have problems with either the amp or the wiring

I will be trying this. Thank you. My multimeter, along with all my other tools, are at my Dads house. Didnt get over there today.

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492

No, there is two pairs of 12g wires coming through a hole I drilled in the box all the way to the amp.

Thing worked all the way to work this morning and all the way home. Heading to my Dads soon to do the ohm test 3vil suggested.

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492

I will be trying this. Thank you. My multimeter, along with all my other tools, are at my Dads house. Didnt get over there today.

I never found out the problem.. but it seems to bumpin just fine now.

​The DMM would show 3.4 when the woofer is at rest, and go into some negative numbers when I pushed it. Did about the same for both voice coils.

Scion xB
Singer 275
Big 3 OFC 1/0
Kenwood ddx492

Archived