You checked your wiring? Had similar issues before and it's usually a crimp or solder that gave out.

Wiring is all good. I've pulled the unit and wiggled/pulled/folded every single wire but can't replicate the speaker going quiet.

Hear anything rattling around inside the unit? Found a cap rolling around in one once....not sure how that happened ;)

If it happens when you hit a bump though it's definitely something loose somewhere. Could be a solder joint inside the unit. If you feel ballsy tear it open and start looking. Just might not have a warranty (if you do now) when you're done. Other than that call the manufacturer. Then again it might not even be the HU so good luck.

Hear anything rattling around inside the unit? Found a cap rolling around in one once....not sure how that happened ;)

If it happens when you hit a bump though it's definitely something loose somewhere. Could be a solder joint inside the unit. If you feel ballsy tear it open and start looking. Just might not have a warranty (if you do now) when you're done. Other than that call the manufacturer. Then again it might not even be the HU so good luck.

I'll have to tear it apart next weekend. It's way out of warranty that's why Sony won't deal with it. It's definitely the HU. When I punch it out of frustration, it works for a while. Thanks for the suggestions man!

Lol the odometer in my car is the same way. Dims until it turns off then pops back on when you smack the dash. Definitely need to tear that shit out and re-solder that shit.

I ripped apart the faceplate last night. Couldn't find anything loose or broken. Not even dusty. I'm gonna check out the rest of the HU in a bit. Gotta fix the alternator first..

• 3 months later...

Hey! ive done a few things since the last post on here, rebuilt the box for my sub, fixed the headunit problems, and done a few other things. Here is my dilema... Cheap sony headunit doesnt like to be useful and stopped playing through the rear speakers. I have the Rockford 250A2 i installed, and id like to just run the rear speakers to that amp as well as the front speakers. I dont remember where, but i read somewhere that as long as the speakers were the same resistance id be able to run all 4 of them off the same 2 channel amp. Is there any truth to this? They are different power handling, but the resistance is all the same 4 ohms. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hey, update time?

Its been a little over a year since the last post, and i got a few things done on the XJ.

Amidst finishing up fire academy, fighting some forest fires over last summer and starting a firefighting internship in February, I was able to finally get things done. First thing i checked off the list was to just use the jeep closer to its potential. In doing so I ended up putting a hole in the transfer case, jumped it a few times, built a quick cage for it and im getting ready for an axle swap here soon.

Among other things, I made some huge (they're huge to me) changes to the audio side of the Jeep spectrum. 4ya07it.jpg

Haha just kidding. Not my cup of tea.

Here's what i actually did in order of operation.

1) Try a double din head unit!   Outcome: Pioneer P4000dvd. looked like shit, acted like shit, was shit, was THE shit for about 15 minutes, way too much work. 1 out of 10, do not recommend...

ueTMwqG.jpg

2) Blow up an amp!  Outcome: remember the "audiophonics" amp I traded my buddy for? yeah, once again, shit. Amp worked great until I wanted to show somebody it and then it puffed the magic smoke. 4v on the RCA's was too much I guess.

3) Buy a new amp!  ?  Outcome: bought a new amp, Hifonics Brutus Elite 1200.1 35th anniversary edition. wallet hurt for a little bit. Buy once cry once right?

Yrryq1x.jpg yes its dirty, i took this pic way after i got it.

4) Build a new enclosure for the sub!    Outcome: Worked great. Couldnt figure out the port calculation cause everybody knew the right way but the other guy was wrong.. typical forum bullshit. So let's wing it! And I did. Sounded pretty good for being the first ported box I've attempted. No real pics for this, its shameful anyway.. but heres a pic of my speaker terminals on the box:

r0yIcSG.jpg

Yep, 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Ignore the carpet, its not there anymore.

5) Time for a new sub!    Outcome: I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Sundown SA-12 d2! The kicker Comp S 12 handled the Hifonics amp well, i just wanted a "real" sub 

xfe8H7o.jpgZngLAdS.jpg

7WWWk1u.jpgOooooooh so nice...

nSyCPiL.jpg

wired to 1 ohm cause i can.

6) F@CK the headunit!    Outcome: The headinut was f@cked. Ripped it out, bought a bitchen Rockford Fosgate Bluetooth-RCA module. Pretty legit, but it buzzed alot. Like alot alot..

7) Rebuild the Sub Enclosure!    Outcome: Well after about a year with the hack job not-very-accurate port I had made up, I decided to try my hand at building a Transmission Line enclosure. I really outdid myself on this one. Dont know the actual tuning of it, but there's 9 feet of port in the box and the port width increases from 2.5"-4" from start to finish. Plays very nice, super low (can hear down to ~36 hz, feel 30 and below), very loud (to me anyway), still super musical, kick drums are there in the center of your chest, moves the steering wheel a little bit. Overall I'm very happy with it and will probably never change it unless I can get a good deal on 3 Sundown X-8's. 8) 

Fh1CZC8.jpg

jXrxi6o.jpg

8) Find the source of the buzz!    Outcome: Replaced the Rockford Punch 250a2 with an Alpine MRV-F300. Nice little amp, gets way loud, still buzzed though.

9) Check the damn grounds!    Outcome: All the grounds were good. Hard to screw up a 4 gauge ground held in place by a 1/2" grade 8 bolt with one of those strain relief things around the wire. Overkill on the bolt? Always go big, don't ever think about going home.

10) Throw in the towel and ask an expert!    Outcome: Check the everything from top to bottom and couldnt figure it out. Went to see Tim at Audiotistics (local place up here, he does nice work), and he couldnt figure it out.

11) Get pissed off and rip everything out!    Outcome: yeah. it happened.

12) Finally figure out the buzzing!    Outcome: Rockford Fosgate didnt specify the RCA voltage in the package for the Bluetooth module. Called them up "oh its 800 mV". Theres the problem! Both Speaker amps were trying to find a signal that wasnt really there. Solved. kinda....

13) Fix the buzzing!    Outcome: Called up Tim again to see what he suggested. He said to run a line driver or put the headunit back in and ditch the RCA splitters he gave me. Nope. Called up Audiocontrol and asked them.

14) SPEND MONEY!!!  ?  Outcome: Spent money. Audiocontrol traded me some cash for an EQX. Love this thing, probably the best thing I've bought for audio hands down.

oCUSZxL.jpg

15) Buzzing is almost gone!    Outcome: yeah. its still there when songs get quiet, but way better. Before I could hear it during the song. Now I actually have to listen for it.

16) Build an amp rack!    Outcome: I like it. Didn't have the cash to replace the wires, so I reused most of them. Also figured out how to shorten RCA cables. Not getting any noise either, so I'm happy about that.

lCFXoT8.jpg

Tried my hardest to keep everything neat and clean, but some of the wires weren't having it. Ignore the abortion of wires in the far corner, it was unavoidable.

cS2aq4V.jpg

Covered it with some plexiglass and 30 something screws. The fans in this pic are no longer there, I have 3 matching Noctua NF-R8 80mm fans now. @ intake and 1 exhaust. The fans are super quiet and will cool the interior of the rack off from ~120 down to ~85 in 10-15 minutes. No controller on them, thier quiet enough to be on 100% power 100% of the time.

2JXuepg.jpg

Overhead shot of the rack/box. Again, ignore the mess of wires in the corner. I know it looks tight, which it is, but nothing touches and everything works great. And check out those kick ass kick panels still workin up front!

17) Update the build thread!    Outcome: currently doing that. Photobucket is on my shit list and wont let me host photos now. Any suggestions?

EDIT: using imgur now. hopefully everybody can see the pics

Thanks for poppin in and checkin things out, gonna fix the photobucket problem soon and upload pics.

Archived