as in fabric vinyl? or sticker vinyl?
it depends on the finish of the box before you wrap. if you fill all screw holes/imperfections it should come out smooth.
if that is done then for fabric type vinyl youll just need glue(i use weldwood) and the vinyl fabric.
they also sell many types for different purposes. they have some with a foam backing if you want it slightly padded, or just plain vinyl

if you mean the sticker type of vinyl(like wrapping the exterior of a car) then it would most likely stick fine to a barewood box(with holes filled)

however id reccomend atleast a few layers of primer, maybe even a few gloss coats over that. that type of vinyl likes smooth as glass finishes

Follow Seth Sharer Designs on Facebook for more frequent updates!

New build coming soon!

20 6.5s wall on two massive drago 5ks

i think that would work fine, depending how long the adhesive will last/stick. ive never used that type of wrap. but yes it will need a relatively smooth surface. why not just paint? or my favorite plasti dip

New build coming soon!

painting has the pros of touching up if something nicks the box..... vinyl "faux leather" will have a better look and feel and have some give to damage but cost will be higher since it starts around $10 a yard and is only on a 54" tall roll... I have several external/internal items done in 4d carbon fiber and its holding up perfect with the michigan weather... i cant attest to how the sticker glue adheres to a porous material since I have only done it on smooth surfaces IE painted and smooth plastic

id suggest finding a good fabric to wrap with and some weld wood.

both of these boxes is felt from the craft store, 70 inches wide by however long you need. about 5 bucks for 3 ft long

this one was 13 dollars(2.5 yards) and about 2 ft left over

SANY0045_zpsn1wsr4wr.jpg

SANY0044_zps4t6rqfma.jpg

this one was about 15(3 yards) with about 4 inches left over

184_zpsjudp2zlh.jpg

162_zpszps9ncjn.jpg

167_zpsgxycf9mh.jpg

then the red is velvet i think 7 a yard.
truck box was half yard

other box was 1 yard

so about 20-25 in material, and 10 bucks in a can of weld wood. they both came out really nice!

good luck with whatever you decide to go with, however mdf does not like to take primer or paint very well. will be lots of coats.

and if you would vote me up for sotm thatd be great! gota get my 9 6.5 build finished

New build coming soon!

So it needs to be smooth. And the type of vinyl does not matter? This is what im looking at

http://m.ebay.com/itm/72-x-60-Matte-Flat-Black-Vinyl-Film-Wrap-Sticker-Decal-Bubble-Free-Air-Release-/281797213908?nav=SEARCH

is this what youre meaning? thats not fabric, its a plastic vinyl for car exteriors. im sure it would stick to straight mdf as long as the mdf is wiped down first (otherwise youre sticking it to dust)

as for padding under it im not sure how well that would work. unless you got a padding thats smooth on one side

New build coming soon!

Archived