Ribbon Tweeters in a Car? DSP and sub Recommendations

Serhal702

Is it a good idea to run ribbons in a car? They seems to have an overall low Fs so would they bring the soundstage up higher? Please share any experience or info!

I have an 80prs, Morel Virtus components with tweets on the dash, mids in factory door locations, and Precision Power Black Ice 1600.4 which is 130x4 rms for my front stage. Jl 12w1v2-4 for substage.

I am more then happy with my system, but considering adding a DSP to more precisely align my drivers. Any suggestions? I was looking at Audison. Whats the differences and would I benefit from the BitOne vs Bit Ten or Bit Ten D? Other recommendations that wont break the bank?

I am also thinking about improving the substage. The 12w1 is in a 28hz ported box built to manufactures specs.

Here are my potential sq candidates, and I have up to 500rms at 2 ohms. I might want to keep it 300rms at 4 ohms because Pontiac G^ alternator is a little weak.

JL 12w6v3 or v2

Sundown E8v4

Sundown SD-3 8

Sundown SA-8v2

Sundown SA12

Recommendations?

If there's anyone in Las Vegas that is cool for a beer and a sq demo message me!!

• 2 months later...

Ribbons are fine to run in a car. That being said I wouldn't as they are a lot more delicate and depending on brand or type power handling and longevity can be a issue. Not sure about the Fs comment, I don't know the answer to that. I would not run ribbons as my listening level is generally a lot higher in my car then at home because of ambient and road noise. Sound deadening can help immensely with this but I think in order to get the best performance ribbons would not be the best choice when you can get similar performance out of a soft dome for a lot less money.

Stick to solf domes or horns and focus on placement and tunning.

The 80prs can do what you are talking about. I would skip the bit...whatever and do more tunning with your HU.

Not sure about the sundowns...what are your goals? Is the JL not cutting it in some way?

I really appreciate your reply, I stuck with the 80prs because I discovered it has left and right eq. I ended up purchasing a JBL w12gti mkii. I got it in 1.5 sealed right now, and planning on building a ported box to manufacturers recommendations (2.25cu @ 30hz). Already sounds great, murders lows and is very articulate and plays quickly.

The goal for my system is sq, but I like to listen loud most of the time as long as it is clean. I bought an Im-sg, and figured out that my box was actually tuned to 25hz.. My next step is to get some sound deadening, and try to figure out better tweeter placement without having to turn to fiberglass. Ill post pictures soon for some more opinions.

Archived