I am making the front seats of my 1971 Suburban swivel for camping purposes. I am searching for a cheaper swivel as the new conversion van ones are $180/ea. Any thoughts?

1971 K10 Suburban - Chummins

1973 MG B GT

1981 Tartan 3000

1988 F350 XLT Lariat IDI

Salvage yards.

We had two early 80s conversion vans when I was a kid that had swivel seats. Also many marine captain's chairs have swivel bases and should be readily available new or used. Of course quality varies. At least since it's a '71 there should be no seatbelt/seat regulations to be wary of if you ever get inspected.

Static drops are my bag.

Another self created issues is I would like to have seat cooling. I considered a peltier pad but feel I would take too much foam out to remove the heat. My next thought is a liquid heat exchange, I think I will be going with this, the next challenge is how to cool the liquid. First thought was an air to water interchange but this would only work well while moving, while moving the smoker window will bring in sufficient air.

Next thought is a small radiator but mounting location is an issue as it can't go on the underside as offroading will destroy it.

Next is to run the lines through the evaporator in the fridge but I dont want to risk my food for my ass.

So finally is to cool the lines with the A/C system evaporator(which has not been specd or designed yet)... I will update as I figure this out.

1973 MG B GT

1981 Tartan 3000

1988 F350 XLT Lariat IDI

Not sure what you mean by inspected, but atleast in NY any vehicle that was equipped from the factory with seatbelts is required tohave seatbelts so seatbelts will be reinstalled. It only has lap belts but I cant imagine wanting to wear them while rotating the seat.

I looked into a boat swivel and it is not strong enough for road use.

Local junk yard turned up nothing so I guess I have to search more.

1973 MG B GT

1981 Tartan 3000

1988 F350 XLT Lariat IDI

Safety inspection might look at how the seat is mounted vs. how it was from the factory. Some areas do it along with emissions testing or if the vehicle was pulled from service and is being reinstated. All I meant was that being it's that old they would probably question it less than they would if you had a newer vehicle.

There are definitely marine units out there that are strong enough. Probably not in a little runabout but the offshore boats or even a modern inboard wakeboat would have one. Won't be cheaper new than what you've found but worth searching used. Also RVs.

Static drops are my bag.

Archived