Second Skin Audio

subwoofer blown but still playing?

Totalnoob

hey guys is it possible to have a blown sub and still have it playing fine? i have 2 dual 4 ohms subs wired to 1 ohm and when i check the impedance at the amp its reading 2 ohms does that mean i blew a sub? both subs are still playing good though which is weird doesnt sound distorted at all. What can this be? you guys think i blew just one of the voicecoils?

my bet is a damaged voice coil.... if it does not read proper then there is a problem... put a DMM on each coil individually

dang so that means i am going to have to recone it. is it bad if i run the subs like this until it really blows or is it bad for the amp? i have no idea how long i have been running it like this lucky thing i check today.

my bet is a damaged voice coil.... if it does not read proper then there is a problem... put a DMM on each coil individually

dang so that means i am going to have to recone it. is it bad if i run the subs like this until it really blows or is it bad for the amp? i have no idea how long i have been running it like this lucky thing i check today.

you will not know anything until you measure all 4 coils.... right now its less of a load on the amp.... my friend bought an american bass XFL 15" that the coils impedance would jump around.... sub sounded fine until he blew it playing 20hz tones.... another friend bought an DC XL15 dual 2ohm and one coil was 2 and the other coil was 4.... both of these examples were right out of the box... did you meter the setup before and have a final 1ohm load

you will not know anything until you measure all 4 coils.... right now its less of a load on the amp.... my friend bought an american bass XFL 15" that the coils impedance would jump around.... sub sounded fine until he blew it playing 20hz tones.... another friend bought an DC XL15 dual 2ohm and one coil was 2 and the other coil was 4.... both of these examples were right out of the box... did you meter the setup before and have a final 1ohm load
yeah I did get a final load of 1 ohm before but that was a while ago i changed boxes and stuff since then. maybe along the line i screwed up the wiring is it possible to screw up the wiring to get a 2 ohm load from 2 dual 4 ohm subs? I will just have to take out the subs which is a pain but i gotta do it to find out this problem i will be sure to check all the coils with a DMM

How are the subs firing? If they are firing up the sag can change the reading.. So I think since the impedance moves when the cone moves so if the soft parts are broken in and nit stiff the cone might sag giving a different reading on the coils

Archived