New to audio. Building ht ported enclosure.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Like I said earlier, there is a LOT to sound quality and what it means to sound "good" can vary a lot from person to person. Some people really notice distortion easily, others are really sensitive to uneven frequency response.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Yeah, I don't have very much experience with critically judging sound quality. I kind of just listen to it and see if it sounds realistic or not. Crispness clarity play a big part in it but I don't have much experience listening to small amounts of distortion. What do you mean by uneven frequency response? Do you mean like if it's flat or peaky?

Yeah, an undesirable frequency response would be one with big dips or peaks in it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Depends on the nature of the frequency response problems. Peaks can be fixed a lot easier than dips. If you have a deep dip caused by some resonance canceling out a frequency, no amount of EQ will fix it. The other thing to keep in mind about EQ is you can only use it turn things down, you can't turn a frequency range up. You may think you can, but all you are actually doing is turning everything else down. For example, say your sub plays everything evenly from 25 - 80 Hz and can output up to 120 db, but you have a 6 db dip at 50 Hz. So at 50 hz your sub can only put out 114 db. To fix the dip you program in a 6 db boost at 50 hz. The problem is your sub is still only capable of putting out 114 db at 50 Hz, you just made it so you will max out everything else 6 db sooner, bringing everything down to 114 db max output.

Builds:

That actually makes a lot of sense. You can always reduce the amount of power given by the amplifier at certain, or all, frequencies but you can only play so loud depending on your sub and enclosure setup. So would it be safe to say that you would rather have a peaky system than a dippy system. As in, if you were looking at a straight line, you would rather have some peaks than have some troughs. Of course ideal would be a completely straight line all the way through the frequency range intended for that specific setup, right?

Exactly, if you need to fix problem with EQ/DSP you want them to be peaks, not dips.

Now the other side of things is, peaky are more noticeable to the ear than dips. So if you don't have a way to fix things, dips will be harder to hear.

Builds:

By changing the volume and tuning of the enclosure. The way you have your box right now it should be about as flat as you could hope for.

Builds:

By changing the volume and tuning of the enclosure. The way you have your box right now it should be about as flat as you could hope for.

So some of the specs have changed for the speaker. I odered the IS12 V2 and the V3 was publicly announced the day I received my speaker but low and behold they had actually gave me the V3 instead of the V2.

These are the new specs

Sensitivity: 89 dB

Nom. Imp.: Dual 2 ohm

DC Resistance: 1.9 + 1.9 ohm

Voice coil diam.: 2.5"

RMS: 750W

Peak: 1500W

Xmax: 25mm

VAS: 33L

Fs: 32.1 Hz

Qes: .59

Qms: 5.84

Cms: 90 um/N

Mms: 263g

Qts: .54

BL: 18.66

Magnet: 120 Oz

Displacement .11 ft^3

Will the new specs make a need for me to change my box designs?

Archived