Paulluap Posted November 23, 2015 Report Posted November 23, 2015 Name: Ford Laser Sport Turbo S (1984) Date Added: ÚTE_ADDED% Owner: Paulluap Short Description: 3 Door Hatch Back Fuel Injected 1500cc Turbo View Vehicle 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/201890-vehicle-ford-laser-sport-turbo-s-1984/
Paulluap Posted December 21, 2015 Author Report Posted December 21, 2015 Thought I would do my first build log for my 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo S that I brought in 1990. About the car.... Imported from Japan (Not by me) 1500cc FWD turbo 2 door Hatchback Boost was standard at 7 PSI The car was an orange/red Paid $13000NZD At the flat with my temporary roof. (1990) For the next few years started with 6 x 9s at the back, then went to one 10" alpine sub. Added another one later. Built my first house in 1993, then I had my own shed. Got the car painted in 1994,(a mazda red, except around the engine bay) and decided I wanted to build something different. I wanted to build everything myself from cheap parts so I could spend my money on good gear. Car back from the paint shop (1994). Cost $1300 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/201890-vehicle-ford-laser-sport-turbo-s-1984/
Paulluap Posted December 27, 2015 Author Report Posted December 27, 2015 Next I needed a plan. This is one of many. Still have all my drawings which has been handy for fault finding over the years. Start wiring car for motorised stuff and audio gear. Brought my head unit after a year of looking. Decided to go with the latest (Clarion ARX9170 hidden tape deck),also came with a cd shuttle. I only had cassettes and records then. Wanted to go stealth with the head unit for security reasons..... and coolness. These photos show the pop out head unit tray. It is made from two kitchen draw runners and a gear box from a toy car. The finished unit. Took about 6 months. The doors are just pushed open by the head unit. They have small springs on them to close again. Next was to design the box. I wanted to go to 12" subs, but the box wasn't going to fit. Had to go for 10", ended up being JL Audio 10w6s. 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/201890-vehicle-ford-laser-sport-turbo-s-1984/
Paulluap Posted January 10, 2016 Author Report Posted January 10, 2016 Built these units to operate the motorised Cd stacker and seats. Sorry about the photo's. The one on the left, opens and closes the seats (Haven't seen this unit since I installed it, nearly 20 years). It is made from a car window winder unit, it has 2 relays mounted as well. On the right is the unit that raises and lowers the CD stacker. The middle grey unit has 4 relays for the CD stacker and sub box. Boxed painted and installed. Tried to paint flames with the word "BASS" in them. I think this is about 1996.Ran my old alpine 10" subs while I saved up for my 4 x JL Audios. My Rockford Fosgate Amps mounted to the back of box. 2 x 160X4 and 2 x 400X4. Cost me $3000NZ Motorised Cd stacker installed. Going..... Going...... Gone. Relays in the background, behind perspex cover. They are from a washing machine. 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/201890-vehicle-ford-laser-sport-turbo-s-1984/
bsneon98 Posted February 2, 2016 Report Posted February 2, 2016 so cool seeing an old school build Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152954-1998-plymouth-neon-updates/
Paulluap Posted March 6, 2016 Author Report Posted March 6, 2016 Next was to drive the sub box open and shut. Now I am no engineer, so had to make do with what I could find that was cheap. These are photos that show the original box opener. It is made from an old car jack and car window winder. Had limit switches at the top and bottom. Lasted for about 18 years before the motor started to fail. It was getting slower as well. Took about 30 seconds from shut to open. Rebuilt the opener last year with a different style of car jack. Much faster now, only takes about 15 seconds to open. Spare tyre just fits.Just out of view on the right is a set of trampoline springs which help take some of the load. Below shows looking from above with the sub box shut. The subs don't work until box is about halfway open, limit switches under box. Almost there. Fully open. (JL Audio 10W6 subs ready to rock) Can be operated from the front or back of car. There is a switch in the boot so that I can turn the box off, so I don't forget about the grocery's or whatever I have put in the boot. 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/201890-vehicle-ford-laser-sport-turbo-s-1984/
bsneon98 Posted March 6, 2016 Report Posted March 6, 2016 Looks like you have a true nac of motorizing things. Absolutely amazing! Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152954-1998-plymouth-neon-updates/
Paulluap Posted March 6, 2016 Author Report Posted March 6, 2016 Looks like you have a true nac of motorizing things. Absolutely amazing! Hey Thanks. Yes - Always liked gadgets and moving stuff. Thinking about adding some more to the car when I have some other projects out of the way. Got sick of opening and closing the lid on my spa pool, so yes have motorised that too. 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/201890-vehicle-ford-laser-sport-turbo-s-1984/
bsneon98 Posted March 7, 2016 Report Posted March 7, 2016 Looks like you have a true nac of motorizing things. Absolutely amazing! Hey Thanks. Yes - Always liked gadgets and moving stuff. Thinking about adding some more to the car when I have some other projects out of the way. Got sick of opening and closing the lid on my spa pool, so yes have motorised that too. Lol nice, tuned in for more! Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/152954-1998-plymouth-neon-updates/
Paulluap Posted May 31, 2016 Author Report Posted May 31, 2016 Because I had motorized most parts I thought I might as well do the rear seat. Seats driven by another car window winder motor. On the back of the seats, far side is the Clarion DSP unit and on the near side a MTX crossover for the front speakers. The seats can also be controlled from the front or the back. There is a switch under the dash to turn the seats off when people in the back. Well that's all the moving parts, next was to power the system. Because my car was always used at the beach or river for a BBQ etc, I got sick of the battery going flat and having to get some to jump start it. So I decided to have one battery and alternator for the stereo, then another set for the car. I have just resently upgraded to one batt and one alt for the car and now the stereo has one batt and two alts. Above on the left, car battery and voltage. On the right, car stereo battery and voltage. Works great, no more flat batteries to start the car. And below the lights for alts 2 and 3. Here's the video of the system working. 1984 Ford Laser Sport Turbo - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/201890-vehicle-ford-laser-sport-turbo-s-1984/
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.