Should have gone to sleep. Kenwood KDC 9011!!

Deeznutz

Oh, I forgot to mention, I emailed the guy and told him he sent me a defective unit. We agreed on getting back $40 so this thing cost me $20 shipped!

-Frank

Well at least he was willing to do something.

Still learning but have started gathering.

I wish I could remember what model it was, it was an awesome radio and I wouldn't mind tracking one down.

BAA, these are an easy fix. I was scared to take apart this model's mechanism because Kenwood kept refining it. I had to remove the face plate mounting bracket because the face closed on me. If you happen to find it I can repair the ribbon for you for free. Just pay shipping.

-Frank

I wish I could remember what model it was, it was an awesome radio and I wouldn't mind tracking one down.

BAA, these are an easy fix. I was scared to take apart this model's mechanism because Kenwood kept refining it. I had to remove the face plate mounting bracket because the face closed on me. If you happen to find it I can repair the ribbon for you for free. Just pay shipping.

-Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I won the X915. It's a deadhead from what I saw on line. Can't find a RMS for the speaker wires.

Who wants to guess if it worked or not? Anyone??

Well..........as usual it did not work. The guy put dynamat on the HU. I think it was dropped as well. The trim ring was held on by duct tape. The air ducts on the mounting cage that help dissipate heat was crushed into the HU causing the mounting cage to be 100% immobile when attempting to remove the cage. A few pries with a mini screwer driver is all it took to release the cage. :D The face and the ebony security face are 9/10 which is super nice.

I disassembled the unit and removed the melted dynamat from the area that motorized unit slides on. Looks like as the HU heated up the dyanmat oozed in through the slits and jammed up the some of the sliding parts.

Success. She now works.

I sent the seller an email, but did not say that I got it to work. Regardless of what he says, he will be getting neg feedback for being dishonest.

I did an box opening video to show the condition of the unit when I received it to protect myself.

I sent him a list of questions about this HU before buying it. He never responded, but sh!t he sure sent it pretty quick after selling it. lol.

Hi XXXXX,
let's dissect your listing.....

"It has built in crossovers, 4.5 volt outputs, gold plated outputs, 24 bit sampling"
*Actually when tested with a 50Hz test tone it's only 2.2V at full tilt.
"This unit has been tested to work perfectly, it has glue and dynamat residue on areas that will not be seen when mounted"
*So is this the reason you attempted to pry the cage off without success?"
"Overall, I'd rate it a 8/10 on cosmetics"
*The cage was molested by the prior owner, you. I would not call it a 8/10.
"This unit will require a easily available kenwood power harness as the original was lost"
*Than how did you test to work perfectly? I'm curious.
"Bid with confidence"
*I did and I won it.
"Since it is electrical and a high end head unit that should be installed by a professional, there is no warranty, refunds or exchanges".
*I will wait for your reply. If you choose not to reply I will leave neg feedback which will probably knock you down to 98.7%.
Thanks,
Frank

There's a definite difference in the radio reception from the lower end head units to the higher end head unit from the early 2000.

-Frank

95.8% is his new feedback score.

His best reply to the email above is..

"I'm confused. What do you want from me?"

Later questioning him about the working status prior to shipping.

"The radio works". Actually he was truthful there... the ONLY thing working was the radio part of the unit. That's it. lol.

When asked who screwed the cage that I had to reform.

"A professional installed and removed the head unit".

In so used to my patients lying to me, I just smiled when I read that.

I'm satisfied, the radio works, he lied, he will now have a harder time selling on Ebay.

-Frank

• 1 year later...

Archived