Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Extended Cab Silverado Install


AGuyWithAJeep

Recommended Posts

Posted

My plan since I bought this truck has been to put 2 beefy 8s under the backseat of my truck. I've finally committed to a setup I believe I will like. Bear with me on this as it may be a long write-up but I want to hear from others what their opinions may be on what I could do different. My goal was to retain a factory look in my truck but get the most I could out of it at the same time, this also means I want to keep the backseat functional.

As of today I have made a few purchases.

-2 American Bass VFL 8s (Dual 4 ohm)

-1 Rockford Fosgate P500x1Bd (787 Rms)

-3" Aero Port

-Pioneer AppRadio 4 Receiver

The subs will be wired to a 1 ohm load at the amp

I'll worry about making speaker pods and kick panals and stuff later, for now I just want to get the subs done.

Anyone with a NNBS 2007-2013 Extended Cab Silverado should know what I'm talking about when I say the floor under the rear seat is not anywhere near normal or "under the seat subwoofer worthy" because for whatever reason GM decided to make the tunnel bigger than the previous 2006- years

I was going to use 3/4MDF for the face and sides of the box. The 2 subs will sit in the face towards the front end of the truck. The aero port was going to face the driver side door. Now, so I can utilize as much space as possible, I was going to lay aluminum foil across the floor, set the face and side mdf piece on top of this, and start glossing the floor of the box into place. The aluminum foil is just to protect my carpet from the resin so I can get a mold of my floor pan. After that was done, I was going to wrap the back and top of the box in fleece and resin that up to take shape, getting this as close to the rear of the truck and bottom of the seat as I could. Once that is done, I was going to strengthen the box making the fiberglass approx. 1/4 thick and use small rope to glass from the top to the bottom for my bracing. Once that is all done, smooth and sand the inside and paint, and leather/ carpet wrap the box and install hoping everything goes smoothly. Test fitment and then go from there.

I'm sorry about that being such a long write up or for anything that may not make sense, I'm finally graduating from college and can start getting back into my car audio life. It's been a while so I haven't really had much of an experience with it lately sadly. Anyways, before I go through all the trouble, if anyone has any ideas or anything I should know before I start this let me know. I'm open to anything.

I'll also post pics as the build goes on. After everything is finished, if I'm happy with what I've got I'll add some plexi-glass windows into the box and add some lights just for the hell of it, but that will be later on.

Once again, sorry for the long write, it's been a while since I've been in this now.

Posted

The second Aero has been ordered

Another thing I was thinking about doing was adding some polyester-fill to help since I'm not 100% sure I'm going to hit to my Cu-Ft I need but I've read it doesn't do much and some say it's better without it. If I can get where I'm wanting to be it won't be as big of a deal but I'm dealing with minimal space under this seat

Posted

i had a 2011 silverado ext cab, i used a box i bought on ebay that was for 2 10"s n was ported at 45hz or so, sounded really good. You could just get that box n modify instead of building one, also look up sound off audio that guy makes good boxes, just my opinion. i had 2 soundqubed 8"s btw.

Posted

I may consider that but I like the idea of building my own a little more, I'm wanting to be around 34 hrtz for the tuning frequency. The VFL 8's like the lows and so do I lol. How many CuFt did that prefab have though?

Posted

The box had about 1.0cu ft per chamber and was tunes to 42hz to be exact, for being a little on the small side it was loud man n look all stock. Believe me you might end up with a outcome you didint want. Or you can go all out n take out the back seats n put 2 18"s how i had it for a small time before i put the seats back lol

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3222 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...