First HT DIY sub, need help

If you can't make two subs work, it not the end of the world, we just move on and try to find the best solution that will fit in your space.

As far as horn subs go, their main advantage is they are usually very efficient. If you want to get the most out of the amount of cone area and watts you have available, a horn can certainly help you do that. They have two big disadvantages though, the first is their size. They can get to be quite huge, like 20 or 30 cubic feet. They don't have to be that big, but they can be, and their performance is strongly correlated with their size. Their other disadvantage is they often don't have the smoothest frequency response, but this can be fixed with DSP pretty easily, especially for you since you have really good DSP built into your amp.

Unfortunately, the problems associated with only have one sub can't really be fixed by the design of the sub. It can only be improved by where you have the sub positioned and by using multiple subs. Sounds like you are pretty stuck with where the sub is going to go, so best would be to just focus on getting the most out of that space. So what the dimensions of the space you would like to put the sub in?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

If you can't make two subs work, it not the end of the world, we just move on and try to find the best solution that will fit in your space.

As far as horn subs go, their main advantage is they are usually very efficient. If you want to get the most out of the amount of cone area and watts you have available, a horn can certainly help you do that. They have two big disadvantages though, the first is their size. They can get to be quite huge, like 20 or 30 cubic feet. They don't have to be that big, but they can be, and their performance is strongly correlated with their size. Their other disadvantage is they often don't have the smoothest frequency response, but this can be fixed with DSP pretty easily, especially for you since you have really good DSP built into your amp.

Unfortunately, the problems associated with only have one sub can't really be fixed by the design of the sub. It can only be improved by where you have the sub positioned and by using multiple subs. Sounds like you are pretty stuck with where the sub is going to go, so best would be to just focus on getting the most out of that space. So what the dimensions of the space you would like to put the sub in?

i'm not entirely sure on the dimensions I'll have available for the actual enclosure just yet as she hasnt purchased the new couch yet, but a ballpark would be 32"w 30"d 32"h

OK. Well I played around with the numbers and there are a couple horn designs that could work. Fortunetely four 8"s have roughly the same cone area as a single 15", so some horns for 15"s may be appropriate. One possibility is a modified THT, it would be about 18" wide, but its 36" deep and 36" tall. Another option would be a modified MicroWrecker, whould would be better than the THT, its 18.5" wide, 30" deep, but its 48" tall. Horns are big :-)

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

OK. Well I played around with the numbers and there are a couple horn designs that could work. Fortunetely four 8"s have roughly the same cone area as a single 15", so some horns for 15"s may be appropriate. One possibility is a modified THT, it would be about 18" wide, but its 36" deep and 36" tall. Another option would be a modified MicroWrecker, whould would be better than the THT, its 18.5" wide, 30" deep, but its 48" tall. Horns are big :-)

i may be in for the modified MicroWrecker. does it sim well with my drivers?

Yeah actually it does look pretty good. I just did a quick sim and will need to look into it more when I get home, but it looks promising.

Builds:

I played with the numbers some more. I think the MicroWrecker should work pretty well with your four 860w's. Here is what the output looks like compared to a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 23 hz:

5q23dAl.png

The dark line is the MicroWrecker and the grey line is the ported box. You get around 6 db more output with the MicroWrecker, that's pretty significant, its like getting four times as much power. It's a lot of output, you will be a good bit over THX reference for subs, which is 115 db at the listening position. This increased efficiency does come at a cost though. Its a big box, almost 2.5x as big as the ported box, and its quite a bit more complicated to build. Here is what it looks like on the inside:

hiXv9QU.png

Anyway, give it some thought, if you decide you want to go with this, I can give you all the info you need to build it.

Builds:

I played with the numbers some more. I think the MicroWrecker should work pretty well with your four 860w's. Here is what the output looks like compared to a 4 cubic foot box tuned to 23 hz:

5q23dAl.png

The dark line is the MicroWrecker and the grey line is the ported box. You get around 6 db more output with the MicroWrecker, that's pretty significant, its like getting four times as much power. It's a lot of output, you will be a good bit over THX reference for subs, which is 115 db at the listening position. This increased efficiency does come at a cost though. Its a big box, almost 2.5x as big as the ported box, and its quite a bit more complicated to build. Here is what it looks like on the inside:

hiXv9QU.png

Anyway, give it some thought, if you decide you want to go with this, I can give you all the info you need to build it.

does it still retain the dimensions you said earlier? the 18.5w x30d x48h?

and holy shit 100db at 15hz is stellar!

Yup same dimensions, now that I think about it you might want to make it 1/4" wider (18.75") just so you have a little more room between the subs.

Builds:

Archived