Head Unit Hell

whazoo84

Hey guys, I've been having a lot of troubel trying to find a headunit for my car.

I recently purchased a 2003 Buick Century Custom and it has the stock radio which makes me wanna barf, same with the speakers.

So, initially I wanted a double din headunit with GPS and all sorts of other goodies but since it's a first car my parents said hell no.

However, they also want me to be able to make phone calls without me touching my phone OR the radio, which is obviously really hard to find if the damned thing doesn't have a screen to make calls with.

I was looking at a Clarion CX505 to put in it but I have no idea if it can make a call via me pressing a button and then I saying something like "Call (number)" like my mom's car has.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

you dont need a screen to make calls.... when the phone rings you press the green phone and when you make a call you pull over make the call and start driving again.... single din BT headunits work just fine... and you cant compare them to double din stock infotainment units.... and I would buy a well optioned single din over a bottom end double

Good luck, any unit wont be in a listen mode 25/7, you will have to hit some sort of button in order to tell it what to do..

TEAM PRESSURED LOWS

2000 Dodge Durango

6 Sundown SA 15s

6th Order B-Pillar Wall

Sundown Audio

XS Power Batteries

Mechman Alternators

you dont need a screen to make calls.... when the phone rings you press the green phone and when you make a call you pull over make the call and start driving again.... single din BT headunits work just fine... and you cant compare them to double din stock infotainment units.... and I would buy a well optioned single din over a bottom end double

Good luck, any unit wont be in a listen mode 25/7, you will have to hit some sort of button in order to tell it what to do..

Not looking for any kind of special headunit to replace the stock, however I was told to get the conversion kit to a single din would bump up the price about 50$ which I'd rather save. Also, I know you gotta press a button, the problem is when I press it, it's gotta accept voice dialing/commands or it's a nono. (This has to be the most embarrassing argument between a teenager and his parents 2015.)

most single din units are $20 cheaper than the one you linked and do the same exact thing is not more

They'll be let's say 30$ cheaper at 120$ which was the cost of a Pioneer DEH-X6800BT.

Then add the cost of the conversion kit to make it single din +50$

Now it's 170$

20$ more in price, plus I'm limiting myself to 150$ so I can get some decent components in the doors, plus I'm in the hole a bit already cause I got a custom 10" Kenwood sub in a smoked plexiglass box, sealed.

what conversion kit? what is the dash like in your car that they charge $50 for a dash kit?

looked it up on sonic and this is what I found.....

Dash kit: Metra 99-4505 free

Wiring Harness: Scosche GM03B free

Antenna Adaptor: Scosche MDA1B / MDA1 $6.99

so the extras after you buy single din is $6.99

now if you buy a double din

Dash kit: Scosche GM1590DDB (replaces GM1590AB) free

so no difference in cost at all for the installation gear...

what conversion kit? what is the dash like in your car that they charge $50 for a dash kit?

looked it up on sonic and this is what I found.....

Dash kit: Metra 99-4505 free

so the extras after you buy single din is $6.99

now if you buy a double din

Dash kit: Scosche GM1590DDB (replaces GM1590AB) free

so no difference in cost at all for the installation gear...

Welp now I know the guy at the shop is ripping me off.

I went to a sound shop and they said it'd be 50$ for the kit, harness adapter and antenna adapter.

That's called business. You're paying him to do shit you either cannot or will not do yourself. He wants to get paid for his work, but the profit margins on headunits is real slim, so he's trying to make a tidy profit on that install by gouging you on the dash kit.

Archived