s5300 Posted January 19, 2016 Report Posted January 19, 2016 Hello all. After a lot of lurking in many different places - I'm coming to you all today for input, speculation, and advice on my first build. To begin with - The car I plan on doing this in is a 2006 Lincoln Zephyr. It's not ideal for me at least, but it's a good enough car and will have to do for now (just going in to college) I've come to a pretty concrete narrowing of the subs I will be getting - but I could never truly finalize it. Subs in question are DD Redline 712's and Massive Audio Hippo 122's. Dual Redlines will require 2400 RMS, Dual Hippos will require 4000 RMS Redlines will cost $720 total Hippos will cost $500 total If you can't guess by my choices, I'm going mainly for SPL. I have the understanding of the electrical power obviously needed for these and have taken everything in to account for either build. Alternators, batteries, wiring, etc. As of now, I am leaning towards the DD 712's. I have been from the beginning, but somewhere along that road I was swayed to the hippos. No matter which I get - I had concluded I would want to run them at at least 75% of their RMS (preferably 100%) or else there would be no point in paying that much for those subs. I have the box under control, will be fabbing it myself. Which of these two sub choices would you pick? Note I will be running two of them. Now - That being said. Why the FUCK is it so damn hard to find a reliable 2400 RMS? There's only like, five options out there. Once a sub decision is made, I really need help with the amp choosing. I've been looking at some refurbished Alpine MRX-M240's, for $450ish, but it does kind of bother me buying refurbed. I'd looked at buying two Lanzar Opti 2000D's but they seem to have some sketchy quality. I saw RockVille RXD-M4's (have to get two) but they seem pretty shady aswell. Today I came across Kenwood KAC-9106D's but I haven't fully looked in to them. There's the Alpine MRX M110's but I really don't want to have two damn amps.. And last off I came across the Lanzar Opti700X2 -which seemed pretty perfect for a budget option, but I hear putting two subs on a two channel instead of a monoblock can cause some dicky shenanigans? I'm still looking into cabling but Radaflex 1/0 is seeming like a good option at this point. As I have obviously not picked the amps yet I don't know what A alternator I will need - but I plan on buying off Singer as I live relatively close by. Batteries are looking like they'll be XS power - and if I have any spare cash at this point I'm going to spend it on sound dampening. For any amp combinations that aren't in the $700+ range for 4k RMS for the Hippos - Please let me know. Thanks for all of your guys's time - Looking forward to getting suggestions!
yurvalentine Posted January 19, 2016 Report Posted January 19, 2016 Are those the only two drivers you are considering? That's a decent chunk of change and you have a lot of options in thay price range. As for an amp you've got tons of good options, Korean boards probably get the most praise. They aren't cheap but they are worth every penny.
s5300 Posted January 21, 2016 Author Report Posted January 21, 2016 I'd be willing to look at anything you could throw my way. Quite frankly - I don't know too much about woofers but I know DD is a pretty great brand and I see people compared the 712's and 122's closely. Throw some Koreans my way - Though I would really like to keep the amp below $500. Also - Is there a better subforum this should have been posted in? Edit: Am I being really, really fucking dumb or can I somehow run the two subs, each on their own 1 ohm amp? I know it would require split RCA's.. but why not? I feel like it'd be way cheaper to get an amp setup like that. http://www.ds18.com/#!product/prd1/2439493641/dna-6500.1 I found this ^ but the website ratings seem to be bullshit as they're completely different on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/DS18-PRO-FR3500-1-Watts-Monoblock-Amplifier/dp/B010NCWZ6Q Also found this but saw it bashed in another thread even though Steve gave it praise? Why does it say 'for mids and highs'? Isn't 2100 RMS @ 2 ohms 2100RMS? I mean, what's the difference? Thanks for dealing with my dumb ass.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.