How to add 80prs USB extension cable to SMD single din bezel

reedal

Correct, it is just an extension with a male USB 2.0 on the other end. And, get rid of my 80prs? You talkin crazy, man. I love this thing. The only HU id ever replace it with would the P99RS. Ooooooo the dreams I've had about that thing. While having a good standalone DSP would offer better control, I don't want to pull a laptop out every time to make a change. I like having the control easily accessible on my dash.

That P99RS though.... Fap fap...

Yeah but in the audio world, you know as well as I do we don't ever keep anything the same forever. What happens if Pioneer or Alpine comes out with a unit between the 80prs and the 99prs? You telling me you wouldn't wanna get that? Just saying, as technology changes, you may want to change with it.

I'm not even using a head unit, I'm going to be using my tablet for my source unit. That's been a pain in my ass to get figured out the way I want to!

I won't say that I won't change because there's enough of a chance that I could one day. But it's not likely, at least not the next couple years. I hate getting a new brain (computer, head unit, any phone other than iPhone). I have to learn new things and forget old things. I still have my desktop from back when windows vista first came out, and use it often. I use my laptop which is from 2007. I get the newest iPhone every couple years because they're all exactly the same ;)

I'll change speakers, amps, enclosures, etc. With no issue. But when it comes to the brain of it all, that's a comfort zone I'm not leaving without a fight.

Well, I suppose this thread is done now. I did what I set out to do with post one. Hopefully the information that has been exchanged here is useful to someone else in the future.

Is my adaptation of the USB onto my bezel perfect? No. But did I do it with my own two hands? Yes. Did I learn? Yep. Will I do it better in the future when the time may come again? Most likely. Practice, mess up, practice, practice practice.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the "finished" product :(

91EACA46-BEB5-46F1-A4D5-355C9F53EA11_zps

I don't know what pressed against it when I was installing and wiring up the RCA's for the LC-1, but something pressed against it to put that dent on it, and I saw it once I put everything back together. So I'll pull it back out when it's warmer and can redo my doors. I plan to pull all the seats and carpet out to rerun the wiring, and wire up the meters. But until then, I have it in, and can use the LC-1 when I need to. It was such an achievement and then I screwed it up.

You're talking about the upper left hand corner? You could probably tape everything around it off, hit it with some sand paper, unless it's deep then a little filler and sand it, and then spray it finished. Probably don't even need to take it out.

Otherwise it looks great. Nice work!

You're talking about the upper left hand corner? You could probably tape everything around it off, hit it with some sand paper, unless it's deep then a little filler and sand it, and then spray it finished. Probably don't even need to take it out.

Otherwise it looks great. Nice work!

Yeah that little guy up there. I was thinking the same thing about fixing it. A little spot putty, sanding, primer, paint, and clear. We'll see how it goes.

Thank you. Hopefully I can get some similarly decent work out of my door panels when the time comes. I might just hit up a junk yard and grab some "new" ones to work on so if I screw up at least I still have the good ones.

That's generally how I work too. I'd like to do that for my truck doors that I need to do. We'll see. I may just say to hell with it and just go for it. I don't drive it daily so I think I could get them worked up and done before I had to drive it again. I have a dash to do first though for my tablet.

Archived