Sonic Electronix

What is the most effective way to get the most from your subwoofer(s) ? I've set mine using a 50hz test tone and a dmm looking for my calculated rms (square root of my amps rms multiplied by my resistance I believe) and it seems to work really well. However with my bass/gain knob it's hard for me to tell if I'm really doing it correctly. I appreciate any feed back

From what I have seen on this site most people will tell you to ditch the knob (unless its a PAC lc-1 style knob) and use a dd-1 to set the gains

But if your like me and don't have the $$ to buy a one time use tool (for most people that's all they need it for) or have a group of basshead friends that can pitch alil cash each or have anyone on the this site near you with one (http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/193176-smd-tool-map-new-november-2014/#entry2890746) you can still do it as follows

1.turn the gain knob up all the way

2.turn the gain on the amp all the way down

3.turn the head unit up to its max undistorted/uncliped volume

4.hook up the dmm and turn the gain knob up untile you get the voltage you need for the wattage you need (if you keep turning the gain knob but the voltage doesn't rise you are clipping)

I'm 99% sure this is right so do some YouTube and Google research to confirm

Note from what I have been told the best to worst ways to tune are dd-1, good o-scope, cheap o-scope, dmm, and ear

I think I may have realized where my issue is. I haven't turned my head unit up all the way or even close I've kept it pretty low but to an established point in which I know is where I had set my gain. I also unfortunately can't get rid of the knob because it's also my outline converter due to my head unit being stock. With that being said I can't get my door speakers to not play music when I'm tunning my subwoofer, it's not really an issue. My question now is should I be setting my gain with my head unit set to a louder level?

Archived