Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Port dimensions


afrakes

Recommended Posts

Posted

Do you guys think I would have issues with port noise if I did a 14"x4.5" port? I know it's over a 3:1 ratio but it works well with my design. Never done a slot port, always used aero ports but won't work with my current application.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Do you guys think I would have issues with port noise if I did a 14"x4.5" port? I know it's over a 3:1 ratio but it works well with my design. Never done a slot port, always used aero ports but won't work with my current application.

Here a port tool go here > http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

If it's not hart stopping it not real POWER

d5a12bcc-c31a-4c2d-90bd-394ef746eb7a_zps0ea163ed-8f00-4686-8c3d-77bccbd0ea03_zps

Posted

Yeah I used that calculator, said I needed 96"^2 of port area. Seems large considering this is a single 15 in a 4.25 cube box before port displacement. I was shooting for 60-70"^2. do I really need 95 inches of port????

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Yeah I used that calculator, said I needed 96"^2 of port area. Seems large considering this is a single 15 in a 4.25 cube box before port displacement. I was shooting for 60-70"^2. do I really need 95 inches of port????

If it calling for that much port area it for a good reason to prevent port noise you can go smaller but you risk as i said port noise.

If it's not hart stopping it not real POWER

d5a12bcc-c31a-4c2d-90bd-394ef746eb7a_zps0ea163ed-8f00-4686-8c3d-77bccbd0ea03_zps

Posted

Right but that's 24" per cube. Am I crazy for thinking that is wayyyyyy too big?

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Yeah I used that calculator, said I needed 96"^2 of port area. Seems large considering this is a single 15 in a 4.25 cube box before port displacement. I was shooting for 60-70"^2. do I really need 95 inches of port????

Just to be safe what sub, power, tuning you are going to be using.

Posted

Not to mention everybody I have talked to using this driver (aa havoc 15) has said to go big on port, but by big they are talking 15-18" per cube.

To get my tuning of 31 hz with 95"^2 of port the damn thing would have to be 45" long! There would be more airspace in the port then in the box at that point. It would literally be 2.3 cubes of displacement from just the port.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

Yeah I used that calculator, said I needed 96"^2 of port area. Seems large considering this is a single 15 in a 4.25 cube box before port displacement. I was shooting for 60-70"^2. do I really need 95 inches of port????

Just to be safe what sub, power, tuning you are going to be using.

Aa havoc 15"

Aq 1200d

31 hz

Current box design is 4.25 cubes after driver/box displacements but before port displacement.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

It's also hard for me to believe these online calculators are the end be all of all information. Each online calculator, even when entering the EXACT same info, spits out a different length needed to achieve the same tuning frequency in the same box.

So that's the other reason I have a hard time believing that I need 24"^2 per cube, according to that calculator linked in the second post.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Posted

In a 4 net box @31Hz here's airspeed plot for 60-70 square inches of port area with this 15" havoc:

aa15.jpg

So you could use anything in this range without issues.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2936 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...