Sundown Audio

Amp burned up while not playing...really

shepherd92683

I call bull on the whole "vibration from being mounted on the enclosure" thing. No matter where you mount your amps, they're susceptible to vibration. Whether it's from the subwoofers output, the bumps in the road, etc. It's going to happen, and rubber insulators on the feet don't do as much as people think. If you can feel vibration, your amp is feeling vibration for sure

As someone who has repaired a large number of amplifiers, I can tell you there is a huge difference between an amplifier being mounted to a box and being violently shook and an amplifier being mounted to the back of a seat and experiencing some vibration.

i've yet to have an issue with any amps from it, but every situation is different. how does one deduce that an amplifier failed due to vibration, and not just simple component failure, when there are no components that have broken off? i certainly am unable to tell on any of my comms equipment that i repair. the shockwave from the Navy's 5-inch is one of the most violent things i have ever felt, shaking the entire cruiser from bow to stern, yet i expereince no failures when it fires a round, or multiple rounds one after the other while my equipment racks rattle from it. components fail all of the time. no matter what the equipment, or how good of a quality the components are or how new, there are always different variables in every environment that can cause it to fail, and i just do not feel that vibration is one of those.

I call bull on the whole "vibration from being mounted on the enclosure" thing. No matter where you mount your amps, they're susceptible to vibration. Whether it's from the subwoofers output, the bumps in the road, etc. It's going to happen, and rubber insulators on the feet don't do as much as people think. If you can feel vibration, your amp is feeling vibration for sure

As someone who has repaired a large number of amplifiers, I can tell you there is a huge difference between an amplifier being mounted to a box and being violently shook and an amplifier being mounted to the back of a seat and experiencing some vibration.

i've yet to have an issue with any amps from it, but every situation is different. how does one deduce that an amplifier failed due to vibration, and not just simple component failure, when there are no components that have broken off? i certainly am unable to tell on any of my comms equipment that i repair. the shockwave from the Navy's 5-inch is one of the most violent things i have ever felt, shaking the entire cruiser from bow to stern, yet i expereince no failures when it fires a round, or multiple rounds one after the other while my equipment racks rattle from it. components fail all of the time. no matter what the equipment, or how good of a quality the components are or how new, there are always different variables in every environment that can cause it to fail, and i just do not feel that vibration is one of those.

Typically if a transistor has it's legs broken off where they connect at the board, but the transistor itself is still good. That usually is a pretty good indicator that vibration is the culprit. When I message the people and they say "oh yeah, had it mounted right to the box", that is also another good indicator.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Archived