Second Skin Audio

Need tips for re xxx18 ported box

Gregg Elias

Well after having this beast in a sealed properly hidden behind my back seat I think I need to hear it in a ported box. Car is a 91 Chevy sprint turbo hatchback. Without the back seat there's about 40" back to front up to the front of the rest seat. More if I go right up to front seats. There's 35" wide and 20" high will get about 12cuft internal with bracing. Not sure the best way to design this think. I don't have much experience with ported. Should I go sub up, port back? I could go 2 ports facing back? Sub and ports facing back? How much space from rear so back of car doesn't become part of port? Also this sub is the overhung coil and not the split coil. I've yet to get the specs from re but I have them somewhere. Any input would help or a way to design

Good luck finding any thing reliable on that sub. I have the 12" re xxx and the spec sheet says 1cf sealed, I threw it in a 2.5 sealed box and it slapped... As far as ported 2.5 - was ok sounding and I read somewhere that a guy had a single 12" in a 8 cube ported box??? Kinda crazy!!! Re never really helped me ither they told me 3 cubes. After deliberating on what size to build the box, I said fuck I'll experiment so I built 5.5 cubes after displacements and tuned it low as fuck,and it sounded great. So all I can say is build it big and experiment...

Na man I have my 12 collecting dust in the back room I've since moved on to 2 fi q 18"s just give them enuff port area and build big lol... Try and get joe X to put his two cents in on a box for yourself... He is held in high regards on this forum and from what I've read he has really good advice as well as others here

He has helped me before with previous box buids,

With that said, JoeX your help is needed once again lol

Any type of box build for 2 re audio xxx 15"s

I have a chevy avalanche, box will go in midgate

will post exact measurements when i get a chance so anyone can help.

Im going ported doe not sealed.

btw i have seen people do octoports, Real Nicee, will keep that in mind lol

Archived