3vil Posted February 10, 2016 Report Posted February 10, 2016 I haven't used them, but have also kicked around the idea of getting the PPI set. From what I've read online, people like them in a 3-way active front stage, but the AMT tweeter can be a pretty bright.
CPT.scratchandsniff Posted February 10, 2016 Author Report Posted February 10, 2016 for the price im almost considering a set just to try em out... even if they dont make it into my project, I bet theyd beat the factory setup in the winter ride
3vil Posted February 10, 2016 Report Posted February 10, 2016 I just pulled in a few hundred spare dollars from a side job. Really considering pulling the trigger on a set and finally building pods&pillars for my car. Thinking if I don't like the set then I'll put them in the wife's car. Edit: sorry about the side convo OP, I'll quit trying to derail your topic.
CPT.scratchandsniff Posted February 10, 2016 Author Report Posted February 10, 2016 no worries. kind of off topic but, are drivers of this size (3.5-4") necessary or might one benefit from putting the value of the smaller drivers into upgrading to better 2 way components (6.5")?
3vil Posted February 10, 2016 Report Posted February 10, 2016 I don't feel they are necessary per se, plenty of people run the "typical" 6.5woofer+tweeter and are happy with the results. There is less tuning involved when it's a simpler system. Others may argue that going 3-way up front allows the user to tune the woofer for just mid bass, the mid-range speaker to cover the mid range, and the tweeter to handle the highs. One would need to spend some time working with crossover points and slopes, as well as time alignment and positioning, to really extract that most accurate staging from a 3-way setup. However, even a 2-way setup would need adjustments to make the most of the speakers capabilities.
CPT.scratchandsniff Posted February 10, 2016 Author Report Posted February 10, 2016 I think my problem is its my first full system build and ive started on a vehicle that's not ideal for car audio (in my opinion)... I got my truck with no stereo in it at all and have only heard some cheap over-amped coax in it. also I haven't found a local shop that seems to give any fu**s at all once you mention you plan on installing yourself... lol
3vil Posted February 10, 2016 Report Posted February 10, 2016 Don't tell them you're going to do the work. Walk in, say "I just got a huge tax return and wanna hook my car up", then see what the recommend. Make a note of the brands/models they want to install and then get online and research what people are saying about those products. If you like what you read, go back and buy them.
CPT.scratchandsniff Posted February 12, 2016 Author Report Posted February 12, 2016 I think I found my answer! a little pricier than t1 sets but not far off and exactly what im looking for. one shop I was at looking at speakers had some morel products. looking deeper at morel's lineup online they offer a 4" somponent set and should be orderable through this local shop . ive gotta go back this week and find out but should be just what im looking for. the speakers in question, morel virtus 402 component set. will update when I find out the damage up here in canada
beak81champ Posted February 12, 2016 Report Posted February 12, 2016 Check out audiofrog, hertz, and morel at www.abtelectronics.com You can also check out www.madisoundspeakerstore.com, www.meniscusaudio.com, www.speakeraddict.com, www.mcmelectronics.com, and www.parts-express.com You will be tired of researching midrange speakers, midwoofers, and woofers. '14 Silverado Crew Cab - Stock HU, PPI DSP88R, Zapco ST105D BT, Zapco ST104D BT, Helix P62C, Xtant XSC4, ScanSpeak 8", Focal Sub P25's (All equipment sitting in house waiting for warm weather to install!!!)
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.